How do I auto-create subtasks for every Epic that is created?

Alex McGarry August 14, 2015

For every Epic that is created, I'd like to auto-create a list of  subtasks to cover an implementation checklist. Example: 

• subtask 1: define UI requirements
  • subtask 2: define Dev Ops implications
  • subtask 3: define testing requirements
  • etc

How can I do this?

Thanks,

Alex

3 answers

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2015

There isn't a method to do this within the JIRA Cloud application. It is possible in JIRA Server edition through the use of the many third-party add-ons that exist. I would suggest this path that follows, although it will require development on your part or a consultant you hire –

1. Post a Webhook (JSON packet) on issue creation, sent to your custom application or script
  2. Intercept this Webhook with a custom application or script
  3. Interpret results
  4. Post a REST call to JIRA to create the relevant subtasks

If this is brainstormed and developed correctly, it can be lightweight and powerful. But again, there isn't an ability for this to happen in the core JIRA product at all.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2015

I want to note: Performing a Copy operation on an issue will copy sub-tasks. This may be a sufficient work-around for you and your process.

Alex McGarry August 17, 2015

Thanks Steven.

1 vote
Bryan McMillan August 14, 2015

Alex,

This is done with adding a post-function to the create transition of the Epic workflow.  I use ScriptRunner available on the Atlassian Market Place.  In my instance my stories create a number of sub-tasks when each story is created (e.g., Assignments Sub-Task, Scrum Meeting Sub-Task, etc.).  Additionally, we do not allow anyone to log time against Epics or Stories just subtasks.

Hope this helps!

Bryan

Alex McGarry August 14, 2015

Thanks Bryan. I'll give it a shot and check back in. Alex

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2015

Script Runner is not available for Atlassian Cloud, as the user indicated in their question's labels.

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2016

As this is an older post, For anyone who comes across this, The subtask manager add-on (now avaliable in Cloud) may be of use to you for this scenario, it is a subtask generator that can be used to deploy a subset of subtasks quickly from a preconfigured template, Still a manual process but much quicker than creating sub-tasks one at a time as would be the current process:

Also the Developers of Script Runner (Adaptavist) are currently working on a cloud version of script runner, details on this can be found in the comment section of this feature request:

Mark McCormack [Adaptavist] added a comment - 27/Nov/2015 6:01 AM

Just a brief update: Adaptavist are working on a ScirptRunner for JIRA Cloud version. It is still several months away but I just wanted to let you know it is being worked on. We'll keep you posted.

regards,
M

warning NOTE the Feature request is Closed out as "Won't Do", but this is because the request is speciffically for bundling of the plugin in cloud, not the development from Adaptavist as covered in the comments of the feature request.  There is currently no information on an ETA

Suggest an answer