Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do I auto assign tickets on service desk using custom people field?

Hi All, 

Hoping you can give me a hand, service desk projects/JIRA is not something I am super familiar with but I've been put on a project at work which requires this solution and somehow I've ended up building it myself. 

I have 3 request types each with a custom people field for requester to specify who needs to work on their request. I am hoping to auto-assign based on the person/user that the requester selects in this field. 

So far I have tried to set up a rule in automation but maybe I am getting the field choices wrong. Could anyone guide me?

This is the page I'm on atm and where I'm up to but cannot get past this spot. My idea was to create a rule for each person we would assign to as there are only around 10. 

Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 16.01.56.png

1 answer

0 votes
Samuel Community Leader Jun 22, 2022

Hello Kelly, and welcome to the Community!

You're definitely on the right track, unfortunately the automation library doesn't support using the no-code functionality to copy the user value from a custom field to the user value.

What you can do is use the "Edit Issue" action, then in the `More Options` section, paste in the following JSON:

{
"fields": {
"assignee": { "id": "{{issue.worker.accountId}}" }
}
}

In the above snippet, replace "worker" with whatever the field name has the user value. In this case, the field you called "Users" in your screenshot is what I'm calling "Worker".

Your automation rule would look something similar to this:

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 1.30.23 PM.pngHope this helps! 

Hi @Samuel  this looks like it could work. However, when I try to set the condition my field doesn't appear in the drop-down. Any ideas?

Samuel Community Leader Jun 24, 2022

Hello @Kelly Robinson can you send me a screenshot of what the dropdown is saying? What's the name of the field and the field type?

A workaround would be to use the Advanced JQL condition and put the field in there, but I'd like to figure out why your particular field is not appearing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you