How do I auto-assign a ticket to a certain user based on who resolved it?

Henry Shapiro December 11, 2013

So our company has two SQA engineers. One of them writes front-end Selenium tests for the UI, and the other writes backend API tests. Currently, I have a post function set up in the workflow such that when a ticket is marked as Ready for QA, it is assigned to a single one of those people (e.g., assign to bob.smith).

However, what I'd really like to do is create a condition in the workflow wherein the assignee is dependent on who resolved the ticket. For example:

1) If a ticket is resolved by members of the UX team (e.g., UX-developers-group) then assign to the UI tester (e.g., assign to mary.smith)

2) If a ticket is resolved by members of the engineering/API team (e.g., API-engineers-group) then assign to the API tester (e.g., assign to bob.smith)

I've looked at the Validators and Conditions section of the workflow, and nothing seems to make sense for that purpose. Do any of you smart folks have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance,
Henry

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2013

There might be far better solutions but first thing that comes to my mind is the following:

1. create two transitions with "Ready for QA" as the destination step

2. set up conditions on the workflow transitions so that people in group X only can see transition x and people in group y can only see transition y.

3. Set up different post-functions since you have designated transitions now...

It's a little dirty but it should work. Probably people will come up with better solutions (you could always script your way through with Jamies scriptrunner for example) but those are my 2 ct

Cheers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2013

It doesn't. Remember, if you restrict the transition to the appropriate user role they users will only see the transition for them.

0 votes
Henry Shapiro December 11, 2013

I appreciate it, but that's kind of a clunky solution. You mean I'd have a "Ready for UX QA" versus "Ready for API QA" button? Kinda just seems like JIRA should have a better solution in the workflow editor for this.

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2013

Not out of the box I guess...

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2013

You can do this by implementing 2 resolution transitions. One that can only be executed by UX team and one by API team. Then when the appropriate transition is executed use the post function to assign it.

Suggest an answer