It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I assign the permission to create Versions to a permission scheme without granting admin?

I have a lead developer that i need to have access to create new versions within a project. I've found that currently the only way to do this is to grant them a Jira-Admin privilage. 

I want to be able to give them the ability to create a new version, but without having to grant them a full admin permission.

Is this possible?

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted

Hello,

You need to grant  the lead developer Administer project permission, not Jira admin permission. It is different. You can see here what a user with Administer project permission can do. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-project-permissions-861253293.html

Maybe it is fine for you

Thanks

This gives more than I was hoping it would but it's fine for what I need. I'll maybe suggest a feature request to break down permissions on a more granular basis

Thanks for your help

Like # people like this

I agree with Matt here, permissions need to be more granular than this. We have a team specific to managing releases at an enterprise level. Having that team able to manipulate all projects that utilize the release system at an Admin level project to project is way too much access all at once.  

Like # people like this

My team is also dealing with this problem.  We want to give someone with limited permissions access to create versions, but they do not need to be administering the whole project.  Has there been any movement toward more granular permissions for this.  Is there somewhere where I can submit a change request to Atlassian for this?

Like # people like this

I also agree with this.  We want to give the product manager the ability to create versions - why should we give them the ability to manage the entire project?

Throwing another "me, too!" in here- it's fine to keep top-level permission "switches", but we should also have the ability to give these permissions piecemeal. 

Yes, please.

Yes, +1, this definitely needs to be more granular!

Like Damian Hocking likes this

+1, I just want a Developer to be able to create versions. He shouldn't be fiddling with my workflows. It just doesn't make any sense. 

Like Jane Rybalka likes this

Voting for this also

Like # people like this

How is this not changed yet? Granting project admin just to make a new version is overkill.

Like Jane Rybalka likes this

There is a pretty rich set of granular options for determine permissions for users, roles, groups, etc.  Seems odd to me that this one was left off the list.  We need it.

We are going through the same thing. When we launched in 2016, we were told to keep all tickets open for everyone to see and that noone but PMs and managers would EVER add components and fix versions. Things changed (of course) and now we only have one permission scheme that goes across all maintenance projects and we will have to completely re-design permission structure just to make  "X" project only permissions a thing. :-(

Has a suggestion ticket been created for this with Atlassian? I'd like to go up vote it, but I haven't located one.  If you know of one, post it here (if not, I'll go create one!)  :) 

I've just created one, hopefully you didn't too ;)

JSWCLOUD-17608

Like # people like this

Perfect, thank you @Corin! I vote for it. But, like most other issues from customers, Atlassian will ignore it. 😪

@Corin  I didn't get a chance yet.  I'll go vote it up!!

Agreed, this gives more than needed.

I voted for it!

we are too!

I've found a way to do it with Automation For Jira. You can create an automation that receives a post request, and that post request can create (and release) a new version. I made one of those and gave the URL to developer that was needing it. It works for me but it's a far cry from a perfect solution.

Thanks for sharing this!

Bump..... +1 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

880 views 7 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you