How do I assign a ticket to a queue or group?

Justin Sebastian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 13, 2014

How do I assign a ticket to a queue or group? I setup queue's that only see tickets assigned to a specific group. I want to assign it to that and then let members of the group assign the ticket to themselves but I only see the ability to assign a ticket to an individual.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2014
You don't. The assignee is a single user, and that is the end of the story. You can have a separate group-assignee filed, and you could play tricks with dummy users, but you can not assign directly to a group (there is some debate to be had about this being good or bad, but in my experience, group assignees end up as a simple bucket of stuff that gets ignored because it doesn't have a specified owner)
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2014

Hi Justin,

You'll have to create a custom field (group picker). Please take a look here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

Let us know if that's what you're looking for.

Justin Sebastian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 13, 2014

I dont understand this reponse. lets say all emails to a support email create a ticket. Then the group monitoring this bucket either assigns the ticket to someone on the support team or if the ticket should be handled by DBA's or NOC, etc how do they get the ticket in a queue for DBA's instead of assigning it to a specific person in that group which is the logical thing to do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2014

Yes, I understand the theory, but it doesn't work in real life. If you assign to a group, all of your potentially responsible users don't care, they can say "it was someone else who should have picked it up". I've seen the process fail so frequently and so thoroughly, I have no confidence in the idea any more.

But, you've got loads of options. The three baseline ones are

1. Have a dummy user in the group and beat it into the users that they should reassign to a real person as soon as possible
  2. Allow unassigned users and use a group field, again, beating it into them that unassigned issues need to be reassigned as soon as possible
  3. Nominate someone as "they who triage" and assign to them every time. Then it's up to them to reassign as needed

These all leave you with historical and reportable data on who did (or more usefully, who failed to pick up) the initial assignment

Suggest an answer