How do I assign a ticket to a queue or group?

How do I assign a ticket to a queue or group? I setup queue's that only see tickets assigned to a specific group. I want to assign it to that and then let members of the group assign the ticket to themselves but I only see the ability to assign a ticket to an individual.

1 answer

1 vote
You don't. The assignee is a single user, and that is the end of the story. You can have a separate group-assignee filed, and you could play tricks with dummy users, but you can not assign directly to a group (there is some debate to be had about this being good or bad, but in my experience, group assignees end up as a simple bucket of stuff that gets ignored because it doesn't have a specified owner)

Hi Justin,

You'll have to create a custom field (group picker). Please take a look here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

Let us know if that's what you're looking for.

I dont understand this reponse. lets say all emails to a support email create a ticket. Then the group monitoring this bucket either assigns the ticket to someone on the support team or if the ticket should be handled by DBA's or NOC, etc how do they get the ticket in a queue for DBA's instead of assigning it to a specific person in that group which is the logical thing to do.

Yes, I understand the theory, but it doesn't work in real life. If you assign to a group, all of your potentially responsible users don't care, they can say "it was someone else who should have picked it up". I've seen the process fail so frequently and so thoroughly, I have no confidence in the idea any more.

But, you've got loads of options. The three baseline ones are

1. Have a dummy user in the group and beat it into the users that they should reassign to a real person as soon as possible
  2. Allow unassigned users and use a group field, again, beating it into them that unassigned issues need to be reassigned as soon as possible
  3. Nominate someone as "they who triage" and assign to them every time. Then it's up to them to reassign as needed

These all leave you with historical and reportable data on who did (or more usefully, who failed to pick up) the initial assignment

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

277 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you