How do I affect Jira If I delete some Resolutions Values

jachiev January 17, 2020

Hello, I am the admin responsible for the JIRA server of the company I work on. The Jira server was already there migrated from some other server, so it has already a lot of stuff configured in it.

Managers have asked me that they don't want to see too many resolutions in the Drop Down List Field for Resolution.

I want to make sure that deleting a resolution and map it to another one (example: Resolved to Done) will not impact in other features at JIRA:

Example. Widgets like "Created vs Resolved"

These are the resolutions we have:

• Done
  • Won't Do
  • Duplicate
  • Not responsible
  • Fixed
  • Not supported
  • Fix later
  • Incomplete
  • Declined
  • Deferred
  • Resolved

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
František Špaček _MoroSystems_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

Hello,

I think that you only need to migrate the ones you are willing to delete. Widgets like you mentioned only works with resolution in way if resolution is set or not. The only thing which come to my mind are user filters. So you might not brake anything system-wide, but your change can brake some filters where deleted resolutions are used (and thus braking boards, dashboards widgets, filters subscriptions and basically everything based on failing filter).

I would recommend either changing that in DB (while changing DB is not recommended, this is quite small change which I already did few times myself) or hiding them via workflow properties.

You can set workflow property for transition, where your users are selecting the resolution. Refer to this page to see how it works: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/workflow-properties-938847526.html

You can set workflow property

jira.field.resolution.include

and set only wanted resolution IDs. The drawback of this is you have to maintain this for every step and workflow you want to hide resolutions for. But it is probably the easiest way of keeping old resolutions in place.

Have a nice day!

jachiev January 17, 2020

Hello @František Špaček _MoroSystems_ 

That is something I did not know... The properties of the workflow may help a lot.

Other question, what exactly do you mean with this: 

"think that you only need to migrate the ones you are willing to delete. Widgets like you mentioned only works with resolution in way if resolution is set or not."

Do you mean that the widgets just check that Resolution != Unresolved?

Thanks!

František Špaček _MoroSystems_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

Hey,

yes, basically this particular widget shouldn't be using any direct resolution. When I was thinking about, I forgot to mention that while deleting resolution should not brake anything system-wide, it might brake user filters which uses resolution in them. If resolution used in filter gets deleted, filter results in failure. While this might not be a big problem, there are lots of things in Jira which are based on filters - e.g. boards, some widgets on dashboards, filter subscriptions and so on.

I would recommend checking that in DB. While in general its not recommended to change Jira DB, this is somehow very basic change in one table and I already did it quite few times myself (as there are not much other ways how to bulk change filters you are not owner of). Or you can at least find filters which are using deleted resolution and send info to owners to change it.

Other way is just hiding them in workflow properties as I mentioned, but this is something you probably don't want to administrate in long-term. So it very depends on your situation.

Do you really need to delete them or administrating them in lots of workflows will be hell? Then delete them and check filters in DB and either update filters right away or send notification to filter owners.

Do you have only few workflows to work with and you don't need to delete them? Go with workflow properties.

I edited my first response to mention also user filters.

Have a nice weekend!

Like jachiev likes this
jachiev January 20, 2020

Hello @František Špaček _MoroSystems_ 

Great, thanks for the response.

I understand now how they work and I can proceed to the deletion of them.

Thanks a lot!

Suggest an answer