It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I add "status" and "resolution" on my tickets

I want to add "status" and "resolution" on my JIRA tickets (I am the person who created JIRA account for my organization, so I definitely gave myself all the rights and view privileges)

Right now, I can't see status or resolution when creating a ticket (sometimes we have to log tickets that are really far-off-to-the-future enhancements and we will not attempt them anytime soon).

I can see status in the pop up and page view of a ticket that has already been created, but not the resolution.

I can't seem to find the resolution dropdown to add in settings

Please help!

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Leader Sep 09, 2019

resolution is a special field and should NEVER be on any screen except the view screen and transitioln screen where it is to be set. It always show on the issue details screen as either unresolved or resolve value

Resolution Field

Resolution Field can't be made optional. DO NOT put the field on any screen except the one presented in the transition where it is to be set. Resolution is a special field in JIRA. It has an initial value of ‘Unresolved’, which means the field is NULL in the database. It is ALWAYS required when it appears on the screen. ONLY display it on the screen during a transition to the status where you want it set. Once it is set the issue ID will appear with as strikethrough. If you re-open an issue the transition from closed to reopen needs to have a post function to CLEAR the resolution field to set it back to Unresolved.

Limiting resolution options

Use the jira.field.resolution.include workflow property

for exampl jira.field.resolution.include =1,2,3  where 1,2,3 are the resolution ids

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/workflow-properties-802592825.html

Thank you.

I don't see it only any screen at all though?

Not in transition screen, not in any other screen

Joe Pitt Community Leader Sep 09, 2019

Whoever setup the workflow should have a transition were the resolution should be set and present a screen during the transition to do so. In some cases, the resolution is set in a post function so you never see it presented, but those are rare. Status is simply the step (status) in the workflow. You don't set it. Talk to your JIRA admin to find out where he is setting it. It's possible he isn't providing a place to set it. I've seen that happen with new admins. 

I'm the person who set up JIRA, so I guess that makes me the JIRA admin.

That's what I wanted to know - how to provide a place to set it? and where?

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Sep 09, 2019

Anna,

please provide a screenshot of what you see. Keep in mind that with the new issue view in Cloud you will not see Resolution until it is actually set, i.e. when the issue is Done.

I see this. I'm guessing the 'Resolution' is the the second "done" next to the Status.

But it doesn't have a label and there is now way to set it to something else... Like Done/ User error

Jack Community Leader Sep 11, 2019

Yes that is your resolution. Assuming this is a Classic project (not next gen) then, in order to allow a user to choose the Resolution you need to edit the workflow and on the transition going to Done status you need to add a screen. Do this by double-clicking the transition and you will see the “screen” option. Now before doing this be sure you have a screen that can be used that exposes the Resolution field. If not then create a screen for this purpose. There is good documentation on Atlassian site for this if needed.

Thanks so much!
But this is only available for classic (not next gen?)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

365 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you