How do I add an existing issue or epic to my next-gen roadmap?

Benjamin Rosen April 29, 2019

Hi All,

I have a next-gen JIRA project already existing and I want to start using the associated roadmap. I can't figure out how to add existing issue and epics to the Roadmap tab of my project. I can only seem to add new issues and epics to the Roadmap.

I don't want to create a whole parallel list of epics and issues just for the Roadmap: seems like this would defeat the point of having an automated, connected project Roadmap in JIRA. Please let me know if you have any insight on this. 

Thank you! 

Best,

Ben 

1 answer

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2019

@Benjamin Rosen Please refer this documentation on Roadmap, to see how you can add epics and edit existing epics to add child issues: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/roadmap-957979308.html

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2019

@Benjamin RosenDid you get the information you need from the document above?

Benjamin Rosen May 2, 2019

Thank you for your help, but I think the feature I was looking for doesn't exist. The above says, "Note that epics will only display on the Roadmap, and won't display on your project's Board or Backlog." This means that the Roadmap is static and not connected to the issues in my backlog meaning that it's not very useful. I wanted to display existing issues from my backlog on the roadmap. Thanks again though! 

Daniel Sousa November 22, 2019

So, it means that this roadmap it's basically useless?

Eva Niroomand June 25, 2020

I'm having the same issue and came to the same conclusion: The roadmap feature is essentially useless, because I can't use it to tie together and track already-existing epics. It doesn't help me if the roadmap exists in a vacuum. 

Damani Norman August 21, 2020

I've found that existing issues can be added to Epics that are already  on the roadmap by changing their parent. Select the three dot menu on the issue and select "change parent". 

I'm still not sure how to get an existing issue on to the roadmap though.

Suggest an answer