How do I add a user and allow them access to only 2 projects?

Philippe Faurie June 29, 2017

Is there somewhere a clear explanation of what to do simply add a user so he can see 2 projects without disturbing other users and other projects?

I am taking over the administration of JIRA, and every attempt I made blocked all users to see what they used to... It looks like some schme were created by previous admin, some other scheme or group (ex JIRA Software?) may come with JIRA, but nobody knows neither what they mean

The notion of permission scheme, project role, associations (what with what already?) are extremely complex and not well explained at all in the documentation i found

I just need a Matrix ( Users / Project) --> access (YES/NO)

If a user has access he can do evrything (no more complicated)

If this matrix does not exist I am looking for a step by step guide, with screen shots and explanations...

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

This is a very common problem with JIRA.

The default setup has a group that says "can log in".  This is fine.  It also goes on to use that group as a default for "can see project".  This is not fine, because it leads us into exactly the problem you have - everyone can see everything by default.

You need to look at all of the the active permission schemes you have and check what they say for "Browse Project".  Then, you need to remove anything that grants "browse project" to the "can log in" group.  Then you will be able to construct a permission that lets your user into only the projects they should see.

Suggest an answer