How do I add a new column to the agile board for a Agile Simplified Workflow project?

Ralph R July 14, 2015

I have created a new Kanban project that is using the Agile simplified workflow, I have gon into:

Board>Configure>Columns. Clicked add column and given the new column a name. However there is no status being automatically created and the new column is not appearing on the board.

What am I missing?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2015

That's a little odd.  Could you check if you have "add status" button next to the "add column"?  If you do, can you try that and see if you can manually create the new status and drag it into the new column?

Ralph R July 14, 2015

I don't have an add status button.

However I have spotted that the board says simplified workflow unavailable. See my screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 10.23.06.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2015

Ah, well, that answers is - you haven't got the simplified workflow, so all you can do is maintain columns. You can simplify the workflow, but you're going to need to work out why the board cannot be simplified and fix that first. The usual culprit is "I have more than one workflow in one of the projects on the board",

Ralph R July 14, 2015

So are you saying that you can only have one workflow on the project for this to work?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2015

Yes. To simplify the workflow, you have to have the project in a reasonably simple state to begin with. And, of course, after you simplify it, there can only be one workflow - that's the point of the simplification!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2015

Oh, the (?) next to "this board is unable to use an agile simplified workflow" is really helpful!

Ralph R July 17, 2015

Ok I removed the extra workflow, and that has fixed this problem. However for some of my more complex projects they need to have this additional workflow, along with workflow conditions. What is the impact of this? i.e. only the adding columns that will break

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2015

You can either use a set scheme with all the flexibility of multiple workflows and varying conditions/post functions/validators, OR you can use the simplified workflow. It's one or the other. As soon as you set up your extra workflow and apply it to the project, it's no longer simplified, and your project admins will not be able to add status. They can still mess with board columns and put the status specified in your workflows into them.

Ralph R July 17, 2015

Great, so only project admins lose functionality?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2015

Yes, your normal users don't get to play with columns, so they're unaffected

Suggest an answer