How do I SSH into my installation to use mysqldump?

Sean McGown July 19, 2021

I read the documentation here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/backing-up-data-938847673.html

..but didn't see any links to how I can SSH into the installation and run mysqldump for a full backup. We want a more complete backup than the XML solution provides and also are interested in setting up cron to run a regular backup and copy it to a remote location. I searched "mysqldump" and "ssh key" but didn't get anything specific about what to point SSH at, what U+P I should use...

Any guidance from someone who has done what I'm describing? Or at least someone who has SSH'd into their installation?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2021

Hi @Sean McGown ,

If you are on cloud, there is no way to access the site per SSH and there is also no way to access the database directly to dump it. In cloud, you can only use the UI methods to create a backup. 

Sean McGown July 19, 2021

And if I read correctly, there's no way to do a complete mysqldump with the UI tools, correct?

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2021

Yes, correct, sadly not.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2021

Even if you had access, mysqldump wouldn't work - they're not using mysql.

The XML backup is everything you need to create a new Jira system, and has all your data.  What more do you think you would get from a database dump?

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

As Nic mentioned, you'll get all available data from the XML backup.

From here, you could restore the XML backup to a Jira data center trial node of your own using MySQL as the database and then mysqldump, but you're just going to get the same data as the XML export in a different format.

What are you trying to achieve?

CCM

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Sean McGown July 20, 2021

@Craig Castle-Mead 

Looking at the documentation, it recommends using tools like mysqldump for backup over the XML backup because they are more complete (whatever that means). See here. Was trying to affect a mysqldump backup but I guess on the cloud platform, it's not possible. Or is it?

The documentation says it won't be complete and you and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  are saying it will be. I'm new here so I'm starting to get concerned about what the correct recommended backup method is.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2021

No, you've misunderstood the documentation there.

A database backup is no more "complete" than the xml backup.  What they are saying in that doc is that a database backup is better for a large active Jira because database tools can ensure point-in-time backups which ignore changes to data while the backup is running

The xml backups are just as complete, but allow for errors because they can not check for changes during the process - think of the xml as reading out each table in turn, from A-Z.  If someone edits an issue when the xml has done tables A-F, then the backup will go wrong, because it has finished (say) customfieldvalue, without the edits, but will be exporting jiraissue with edits later.

Also, note that that document is for Server and DC, not Cloud.  Cloud backups are also coded differently to the Server/DC XML export, and don't work that way.

It's not about "recommended" - it's the only (full) backup you can do on Cloud.

Sean McGown July 20, 2021

Thanks so much for the clarification. That helps a lot.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events