How create backport ticket in JIRA

Mikhail Cherkasov March 19, 2019

Hi all,

Right now we have Fix_Version field that can have several fix versions, but now we want to have separate ticket for each commit, so instead of one Jira ticket with several fix versions, we want to have 1 master ticket and several backport tickets.

So now we create one master ticket and clone it as much as backports needed, but this requires a lot of manual work, you need to change version for cloned ticket and add link for master ticket, also you need to change ticket type to backport type, and add prefix to title, to underscore that it's backport ticket.

So, is it possible to create a special button, that will ask to input version only and will do all other stuff automatically for us?

Thanks,

Mike.

1 answer

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

Hello @Mikhail Cherkasov 

"but now we want to have separate ticket for each commit" , could you please share the use-case behind this approach. As generally multiple commits are associated with an story and you also have an entire feature branch dedicated to an story/epic. 

Thus, why to have one story per commit and over-complicate things.

Mikhail Cherkasov March 19, 2019

our current workflow: engineer set ticket to resolved state, QA check it and close the ticket, but if you have several fix version this means that QA needs to check all versions before to close it, and this impossible, because different versions scheduled for different dates, so this means that we need to keep ticket in Resolved state and move only to Closed state after an unpredictable time only when all versions will be released and checked by QA. 
To overcome this problem we decided to create backport tickets, but this requires all engineers to do annoying repetitive actions again and again. I just want to figure out how to simplify this.

angelopetrov December 18, 2019

I have similar problem in my organization. In previous organization that I've been worked we have Ported back implemented, but unfortunately didn't get chance to understand how to do it.

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2022

Don't leave us hanging! What did you do? What was the solution?

Suggest an answer