How could I migrate data from old version self-hosted JIRA Server to Cloud JIRA

anson.wu May 26, 2023

Our enterprise have been using self-hosted JIRA server in 8.13.4 version.

Now we are about to migrate the data from the old self-hosted JIRA to new Cloud JIRA(already built and configured).

However, there is too much data that manual migration doesn't seem possible. I would like to know whether there is any efficient way for such migration.

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

Hello @anson.wu ,

I hope you are doing well!!

As migration is very tedious and complex task to do. I would recommend to reach out to Atlassian Solution partner and migration expert in your region.

Here you can find out the all the Atlassian solution partner - Atlassian Partner Directory

On technical Side-  JCMA is free plugin developed by Atlassian for Migration Purpose which supports single as well as multiple project migration. You can refer link provided by @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ .

Regards,
Mayur

3 votes
Brad Peterson June 6, 2023

Hi @anson.wu 

As shared in the previous answer, migration projects are complex and require careful planning and strategy. Unplanned migrations can lead to downtime, operational hiccups and data loss. 

You must first define the must-haves (e.g., comment synchronization, inline images' sync) that you expect from migration and then evaluate the different migrators available in the market. Here are some common migration requirements: 

• Downtime:  Downtime adds operational costs and impacts development operations as teams may not be able to use Jira during ongoing migration. As part of the evaluation, validate that there will be no downtime that could cause business disruption.  
  • Project key restrictions: Jira Server allows underscore (_) and few other characters in the project key, whereas on-cloud allows only letters in the project key. Any migration needs to factor in strategy to address these differences. 
  • Field template inconsistency: Analyze if there are differences between your Server and On-Cloud instances. Make sure you have a strategy for bridging those differences if needed. 
  • Skills required: Some tools are a collection of unsupported beta versions of scripts, necessitating a very high degree of sophistication + consultants. These can be highly time-consuming, error-prone, and hinder operations. As part of the evaluation, analyze what part of the migration may require script and involvement from your side. 

OpsHub has extensive experience in undertaking complex migration projects, ensuring zero downtime, no data loss, complete data integrity and full ownership of the migration process. OpsHub Migration Manager can be a suitable choice for the given use case as it supports the migration of all System & Custom Issue Types, Sub-Task Types, Versions, Worklogs, etc., from Jira Server to Jira Cloud.  

Please reach out to OpsHub’s Migration Experts for an initial discussion on migration planning. 

Thanks, 

Brad

3 votes
Graham Twine
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2023

Hello @anson.wu ,

Have you looked at the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant plugin?

If you are unsure, open a ticket with Atlassian, they are quite supportive in this process.

2 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023
anson.wu May 29, 2023

I would like to rehearsal for the migration first but seems I could not find JCMA in my trial version JIRA.Capture.PNG

anson.wu May 30, 2023

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_  would you pls help with my query above?

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

Hey @anson.wu , you need to install that app on Server/DataCenter instace and not on cloud side

anson.wu June 4, 2023

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ Thanks. Actually I successfully installed JCMA in my instance but encountered problem. I selected both [Test/Prod Migration] to migrate data/project from my instance to my free trial Cloud JIRA for rehearsal. It shows successfully migrated but I just could see an empty project in my Cloud JIRA(only same project name/key without any task/story migrated).

Would you pls also advise?

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 6, 2023

@anson.wu hi there. there is more than one option when it comes to migration., you just have to clarify the end result you're aiming at. anyway, in case you're open to the idea of using a 3rd party solution - check out ZigiOps. It easily connects the Jira instances (as well as other systems) and enables the migration of data between them- no additional coding needed at all. You can tailor what data you want to migrate. the ZigiOps connector does not have limitations on the amount of data that can be transferred. Feel free to look at the integration tool.

Regards, Diana (ZigiOps team) 

Suggest an answer