How could I make a bulk switch of workflow shemes to our projects

Stephan Meyer January 31, 2018

Hi

we have around 50 projects in Jira cloud and now I would like to change the workflowshemes of all projects. I won't reasign the new sheme project by project. I searched for a solution or add-on here in the community but I didn't find any helpful article.

The recommended Add-On in these community post is not available yet. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Bulk-Change-Workflow-to-all-projects/qaq-p/108277

So it would be nice if someone could help or had an Idea to solve these problem.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Stephan Meyer

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2018

If you need to change 50 project workflow schemes  then it means that they are similair in all projects. If it is the case, then you should use the same workflow scheme for all projects.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2018

If so, then make a new workflow scheme and assign it to all projects instead of the old ones. It will be the best solution.

I agree with you, that is exactly what I want to do now.

But I would like to do it with a bulk change function not manualy for each Project.

Do you have a idea for that?

Thanks

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

Stephan,

There is no bulk update method that you can use to update all of the projects.  You will have to touch each one and make the change.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

It's not something you can automate either - Jira needs to check the configuration for every single change of workflow.

Stephan Meyer February 1, 2018

Hi Nic, Thanks a lot

Stephan Meyer February 1, 2018

Hi Brant Thank you.

so I'll touch each Project and make the changes

0 votes

Hi Brant,

thank you for your comment.

0 votes

Hi Alexey, thanks for your fast reply

in the past or projectmanagers designed workflows by themselfes and asigned These workflows to a project specific workflow sheme and subsequently to the project. So we havea little chaos till today .

Now all Project leaders together agree to one standard workflow in one standard workflow sheme. And these one and only workflow sheme I would like to asign to all projects now.

Is there a jira function available to do these or maybe a Add-On

Thanks

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2018

Stephan,

Is the old workflow scheme being used by any other projects?  If not and only those 50 are using it.  I would do the following:

1. Make a copy of the workflow scheme that you will be replacing so you have a backup.
  2. Make changes to the workflow scheme that is already applied to all 50 projects.

If you have more projects using the scheme and you have to apply it to all 50 projects you will have to touch each project to make the change.

Eric Kazda May 11, 2023

But this does not work if you need to delete a status or if you just want to rename the schema. That is only allowed on inactive schemes, which leaves you making a copy and applying it to each project. 

Christian Joel October 12, 2023

This (renaming workflow schemas and removing a status in workflows is only possible for inactive workflows) shows how crappy Jira administration still is after more than a decade with the existing construct of workflows and schemas.

The inconsistent user interface and different behavior when saving changes on different administration pages underlines the need for refactoring in many places.

Suggest an answer