How come when I create some issues I'm told "Issue X has been created but is not visible?"

Seth Frumkin August 30, 2016

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2016

It means your board configuration is not including the issue for some reason.  The board filter is often the culprit (e.g. the board says "all bugs and stories in project X" and you create a request-type in project X), but check also the columns (do you have the "new" or "open" status in a column?) and the quick filters in case you've hidden it with them.   Also, if it's a sub-task and you're in planning, they won't show.

Seth Frumkin August 31, 2016

Sorry but I just started out with the site and I'm not sure what you mean.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2016

You have a big pile of issues in JIRA.  Your board is a view of the pile, and it says "only show issues that match these criteria (e.g. it's written on a green note)". There are some further "quick" filters that enable you to toggle more criteria (e.g. only show me notes written in block capitals)

You are creating issues that do not match the criteria, so it's not visible on the board after you create it. 

Could you tell us what the issue type is for the new issue (and whether it's a sub-task type), where you are doing this creation and what the board filter is (under Board config)

Thanks for getting back to me.  What I did is very basic and was just to try out JIRA.  I created a scrum software project called "Test."  Then, in the backlog, I created 8 issues titled 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.  They were all created the exact same way, by typing the number into the "create issue" field and then hitting enter, so I'm not sure how the criteria could be varying.  Only 6 of them showed up, the other 2 were hidden.

The issues are all "story" type, none are sub tasks, the creation is being done in the backlog and the board filter under config is "Filter for Test Board."

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

On a different note, if you are creating issues using the 'Create' button on the top, you might be getting this error because you do not have "Browse projects" permission on the project. Please check the project permissions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2016

Ok, great, that rules out some stuff.  Next question is what is the definition of the "filter for test board"?  Is it really simple, like "project = test"?  Do you see all 8 issues if you go to menu -> issues -> search, click "advanced" and paste the query into the search defintion?

And was the "create issue field" the one on the backlog screen?

the definition is "project = TEST ORDER BY Rank ASC"  I do not see all issues if I search that way.  Yes that was the "create issue field" I used.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2016

Ok, that implies you are somehow creating issues that are completely blocked from your sight.

When you run that query, what issue numbers come out?  Let's say you created them with summaries as you said, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.  Are the issue keys TEST-1, TEST-2, <missing 3>, TEST-4?  Or sequential?

not sequential.  But I just created 30 new issues and the problem is not occurring anymore mabye it was a bug because it was a new project?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2016

If the visible ones are not sequential, then that supports it creating ones you can't see for some reason.  Could you have a look at the permission and security scheme for the project?

I deleted the project and created a new one with the same name.  The issue doesn't seem to be happening again as I created the same issues again with none being hidden

Suggest an answer