How come I cannot create sub-tasks in one of my projects?

Lora Friedenthal May 16, 2013

I already have one project that's using sub-tasks. I just tried to create an issue in another and set it as a sub-task, but it is not an option in the menu. I've assigned them the same Issue Schema and the same Workflow Schema.

Is there a setting somewhere else that controls access to making a subtask?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2013

Are you trying to create the sub-task issue directly from the "Create Issue" button? Because you can only create a sub-task issue if you are currently viewing a parent issue (as it attaches itself to that parent issue).

Or are you trying to convert a parent type issue to a sub-task type? You need to make sure the parent issue has no sub-tasks before you attempt to convert. :)

What I was actually trying to do was create a Sub-Issue in Structure. And when that wasn't working, create a Sub-Issue from the Create Issue button.

It looks like the only thing I can do is create Tasks and Convert one at a time to a Sub-Task, which seems needlessly laborious.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2013

Hi Lora, sub-issues in Structure are completely different from sub-tasks in JIRA (they *can* be the same, but they are still two completely different concepts). To make an issue a sub-issue in a structure, you just need to add it to your Structure and then indent it under the issue you wish it to be a child of.

Yes, I figured that out afterward. It may be simpler to use Structure's SubIssues instead of Sub-tasks. I thought it would be nice to have a Task complete once all the subtasks are completed, but the extra work in creating a project plan with subtasks is probably not worth that bit of automation. Whereas creating subissues in Structure is simple.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

Yeah, you can automate workflow either way, just whatever works best for your situation. :)

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

Sub tasks need to be part of your Issue Type scheme. If there are no sub-tasks, you won't be able to create any.

If you want to make a task a sub-task, there's an action "convert to sub-task"

and I've just read your comment that you are using the structure plugin... best tell us that at the start!

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

Hi Lora, if you want to create sub-task in a issue you have to click on more actions button inside the issue and then the option create sub-task. There's no need to create a normal issue and then convert to sub-task ;)

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

If you are using the same issue type scheme, there shouldn't be an issue. I assume you can create parent tasks in the project. If not, it might be a permission issue.

Suggest an answer