How can you add time estimate to a sub-task in scrum?

We are new to jira and are using scrum project set-up with tempo time tracking. We have just started using sub-tasks. How can we add time estimates to these?

1 answer

0 votes

The default for Jira is to allow time estimates in most ways, but not put the field you need on the create or edit screens.  Go to the project configuration, and find the "screens", descend into them and add "original estimate" to them.  You'll need to be an admin to do it.

But.  Don't try to use this for velocity or Scrum.  Jira Software won't handle it usefully.  Estimation really needs to be done at a story level, not sub-task.  (There's an essay answer on why this is the case with Jira, with a lot of whinging from me at both Atlassian and their Customers, which I won't bore you with)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

Implementing Jira in Small Business

Introduction This article will give insight on how a small software development department implemented Atlassian products to enhance and streamline the business process. The privately held company h...

307 views 2 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you