How can we make assignee field is mandatory?

How can we make assignee field is mandatory?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2014

Nope, I've been really stupid here. I have a blind spot on this particular problem, and I forget it EVERY time it comes up.

I am really sorry.

The advice to turn off "allow unassigned issues" is correct, but you can't make Assignee mandatory with field configurations. Your only option is to put some validators into the workflow. Which is not pretty for the users.

Eli_McGowan May 4, 2015

There is some info here:
Making 'Assignee' field required when 'Allow unassigned issues' is turned ON in General Configuration

Basically, it says that you need to use a third-party plug-in: JIRA Suite Utilities

0 votes
Jeremiah Fischer October 21, 2019

I'm faced with this issue and here's what I'm trying out...

1. Create a single user picker custom field (filtered to the role group I need)
  2. Make the custom field required
  3. Don't display the Assignee role on the create screen
  4. Apply a post-function on the workflow to copy the value from the custom field to the Assignee

I'll update if this works out.

Nope - I ended up going with just a workflow validator on the Assignee. That seems to work perfectly.

0 votes
amit raj October 26, 2018

you could make assignee field mandatory using scriptrunner, under behaviours

0 votes
Tom Towkach May 31, 2018

It's not perfect, but allow for create issue with unassigned users.  Assuming your tickets go to the backlog, it's not a big deal as most backlog items are not being worked on and are generally unassigned. 

Then, to transition to via Start Work, or In Progress, place a validator on the Assignee field. The user will get a red error message the Assignee is required.

This makes assignee required to start work on a JIRA configured for unassigned issues.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2014

Field configurations, or turn off "allow unassigned issues" in global configuration.

There is documentation on this stuff you know, and it's searchable - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Documentation

Field configuration related to assignee doesn't have required option.

Suggest an answer