How can we delete Multiple Projects in Jira?

Siddhant_Ramteke April 16, 2020

I am trying to delete multiple projects at a time.

I am trying to select multiple projects for deletion but there is no such way i found.

Can you guide me how can i proceed 

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2020

Hi @Siddhant_Ramteke 

Welcome to the Community! In the Cloud version, we do not have any option to delete multiple projects. You need to do it manually one by one.

If you have lots of projects in your cloud instance then you can raise the ticket to the Atlassian support and they can reset your instance may be.

Or I have one solution who can be a workaround for you. You can use Profields add-on in its recent release allows performing bulk delete projects including their "orphan" schemes.

bulkops.jpeg

Siddhant_Ramteke April 21, 2020

Is there any possible way so we can automate it with given some condition if i knew Groovy script 

Like Huwen Arnone _Deiser_ likes this
Huwen Arnone _Deiser_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 14, 2020

Hi @Monika Rani, thank you very much for your recommendation. It feels good when someone else's recognizes the work we have done pulling Profields out and making it useful to track projects in Jira (version 7.3.0 is fire, btw.) Thank you!

@Siddhant_Ramteke it is actually possible to automate this action by using Groovy. In these blog posts, you might find more information related to mass project deletion and automation:

1. In this one, you can learn how to bulk delete projects like a boss.
  2. Here you can learn more about the possibilities you have with Profields to automate tasks based on project information.
Like Monika Rani likes this
Leo Diaz _ DEISER
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2020

@Siddhant_Ramteke  if you want to delete inactive projects every month (for example), you will have to develop a service.

I'm not sure if the Escalation Services of Script Runner can help you, but maybe you can try it:
https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.0.2/jira/escalation-service.html 

1 vote
Roman S August 4, 2021

I searched for a way to do this in Jira Cloud for a while and after not finding anything wrote a little python script to do it. Feel free to use it: https://coderoman.wordpress.com/2021/08/04/bulk-delete-projects-in-jira/

0 votes
felix.weber February 10, 2021

hey. @Monika Rani  @Huwen Arnone _Deiser_ 

maybe I am blind - I wanted to test the bulk operation to delete project so I have installed the addon but can´t find the "Bulk operation" - even I search their documentation

can somebody help ? 

sorry for this dump question but I am really struggling finding this option

Leo Diaz _ DEISER
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Hi @felix.weber 

Are you trying in Jira Cloud or Data Center? This feature is only available in Data Center (and Server)

Leo

Huwen Arnone _Deiser_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
February 10, 2021

Hi @felix.weber, no worries. It's a valid question.

You better read what our Head of Products @Leo Diaz _ DEISER wrote.  

Regards!

felix.weber February 10, 2021

Thanks for the fast response ;) indeed I am testing on cloud :/ 

sad that this is only for on-prem installation - anyway thanks 

Suggest an answer