How can i view tasks assign "Contains" and "is contained in" in tree structure in Plans ?

вадим грибиников June 23, 2022

My task is to build roadmap with tasks wich are assign by "Contains" and "is contained in" in tree structure. But now I cant do this. May be you can help me with that configure.

Thanks. 

1 answer

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2022

You plan has to have issue sources that can 'see' all the tickets in the structure you want to build, whether you use filters, boards, or projects - so you'll probably need to include a few queries for it, or have a board that is already using a query that sees them, or combinations of boards and filters.

For example, If I want to see a specific epic and all it's tasks:

issuekey = EPIC-1234 or "Epic Link" = EPIC-1234   <- would not see subtasks
issuekey = EPIC-1234 OR EpicLink = EPIC-1234 OR ParentEpic = EPIC-1234  <-would see the subtasks)

If you have lots of epics, you can pass in more filters, or rebuild the filter to:

issuekey in (list of epics) or "Epic Link" in (list of epics) or ParentEpic in (list of Epics)  

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2022

I find instead that it's easier to build several filters, then add each as an issue source, which should show the relationship assuming your Plan Filters are set up correctly.

Thank you for advise. But i want to add: we have some usefull structure in our company where we use "contains" for linking  two Epics with each other. Now i wanna display this two linked Epics in Plans structure/ But Plans cant show me this link "contains".

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2022

That 'contains' link-type is a form of dependency, so you'll have to add it in the plan options. It's not actually the functionality you're describing though, and to Plans it's similar to being blocked/is blocked-by or relates to type links.  They'll be visualized the same way, as a dependency, not as a child/parent.

The only structures that use "contains" type functionality are Epics, and anything you've created above epics (initiatives, odyssey, etc).  They are found in the Advanced Roadmaps settings.  You cannot have an epic 'contain' another epic, so you have to use a link type instead of the parent/child relationship controlled by hierarchy.

вадим грибиников July 29, 2022

Thank you! I got it. Its diffenatly not what i expect but it can works. 

May be you can advice for me other Atlassian pluggin for my task? 

Suggest an answer