How can i see the Screen associated with the View operation?

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2019

Im experimenting and learning about Screens, Screen schemes and Issue type screen schemes. I can find the edit-screen and the create-screen but i dont understand where and when the view-screen shows.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Rogers October 1, 2019

The view screen is the list of fields that will display on the issue UI. Generally most Edit Screens are also set up to be the view screen in the screen scheme, like the example below.

Image 01-10-2019 at 10.04.jpg

if you can not see it, then most likely a view screen has not been set up in that screen scheme.

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2019

Edit and create works fine, the view operation is also linked correctly. When i add a field in the View Screen for Stories it gets added to the screen, but among much more information. In below screenshot i have Ranking as the only field in the View Screen for Stories, and it is included, but with much more information. What determines all other fields that shows?

image.png

So some fields will appear by default because they are 'system fields' (Summary, Priority, Status, etc)

So even if 'Rankings' (a custom field) is the only field you have on the view screen, the system fields will still appear.

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

How do i know which system fields show by default? For example, Security Level is a system field but does not show in the views by default.

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

In other words, how do i get full control over what is showed in the view screen?

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

Only the fields that have a value are shown in the view screen, add a security level to an issue and try again

Like Jason Rogers likes this

Well an Issue needs a Summary, Issue Type, Resolution, Created & Updated date, Description and status. So those are the minimal fields that will show on your UI.

So basically, you have to have them.

The reason security level does not show is because it has permissions associated with it. It is more of a standard out-of-the-box field, that you can use if you want, than a system field.

Like Gustav L_Estrade likes this
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

I understand that it is hidden, rather the issue here is how i can configure the view to not show some stuff, like Affects version/s. 

I only want to show the information that is necessary.

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

Alright, i assume that it is default aswell then. Thank you for the help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

You can hide most of the "system" fields with "field configurations" though.  Just remember not to hide Summary or Resolution, as that will stop issues working properly.

Like # people like this
0 votes
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

There are three screens for every issuetype (not exactly but works for the explanation).

1. The creation screen is the one that you see when you create the issue
  2. The view screen is the one you see when you search an issue or navigate to it from a filter, a board, a gadget...
  3. The edit screen is the one you see when you click on edit issue button. This one is especially important, only the fields included in this screen can be modified in the scope of that issue. You can choose to show only some of the fields you have on the screen via the configure fields button on the top right corner of the screen. Notice that a field needs to be on the edit screen so you can show it, but you can choose not to show fields added to edit screen.

So you can have a maximum of three different screens for every issuetype (you can obviously have only one and put it as default. 

A little bit messy, but this is jira, not the most friendly tool you're going to find

Suggest an answer