How can i overrule a post function auto assign?

Sara February 28, 2018

my problem:

on request i added a rule to auto-assign the creator as a post-function. However, this has as a side effect that if i would fill in the assignee field on creation, that value will be totally ignored and the creator is always auto-assigned. This causes a lot of mistakes and confusion. 

My question:

is there another way to solve this?

the original reason i added the rule in the first place was that some people create a lot of tickets keep it assigned to themselves and then assign the tickets as soon as they finish with it ( they create it through the backlog).

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2018

As far as I know, there is not a way to configure conditional post-functions in default Jira. You'll probably need an add-on for something like this. I've accomplished something similar using ScriptRunner (basically saying "if the Assignee field doesn't have a value, then make the reporter the Assignee, else - don't do anything").

If that's not an option, you might be able to explore some more creative solutions:

• Use default assignees and component leads. Depending on the component you select when creating the ticket, the assignee would be updated accordingly. I don't know how you use components now, but maybe this will spark an idea in your head.
  • You could make the default assignee to be "Unassigned," then create a filter of all unassigned issues. Maybe make it part of the triaging process to make sure the assignee is updated to the correct person.
  • This might even be more of a training issue and making sure everyone on the team is on the same page about making sure who the Assignee should be and when the Assignee should be defined.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer