How can i measure KPI's in JIRA??

Sivan Samira March 4, 2017

Hi All,

We would like measure KPI's in JIRA.

We would like to have 3 KPI's per initiative. 2 text fields for each KPI. 1 for the KPI itself and second for the KPI status (0%,25%,50%,75%,100%). The status could be a text field but we prefer a drop down with those options.

We would like to display it with a gauge measure.

Does anyone have any idea how i can create such report?? 

Thanks,

Sivan

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2017

This is a specification which looks ok on the surface, but is really far too vague to usefully build.

A key performance indicator needs a clear definition.  Things like "the percentage of calls resolved within 2 hours of initial contact" or "the average monetary cost of a support call" or "up time of a service" are defined and measurable KPIs. 

You'll notice that these are general rules for showing how you are performing.

This leads me to question your approach of sticking arbitrary numbers on issues.  This can be a way to capture it, but given the lack of detail on what you really want, I think it's unlikely to be useful for you.

But, if we assume it is, then yes, a drop-down probably is better, as it constrains your users to putting in valid data with little effort.  But, you now need to describe what a "gauge measure" means to you.  What do you want to actually see?

Sivan Samira March 4, 2017

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

we would have for each initiative a product manager that will define for each initiative it's KPI's.

our problem is that the KPI's are different between each initiative so that's way we want to give the product a free text fields to fill the KPI's by himself, but of course the KPI's will show how we perform in specific initiative.

we prefer the numbers to be inside of a drop down but if it's a limitation in order to display it in a report we are good also with text field.

we want to have a report with a scale measure for each KPI (3 max) that will display the issue key, the KPI name and the status inside of a scale. exmple - 

Hope it's more clear smile

Sivan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2017

It clarifies that you're happy to have independent, arbitrary and subjective KPIs measured (So I would very strongly caution you against reporting on them on any level outside each separate project.  As what one project is measuring simply cannot be compared with another)

The diagram doesn't help though.  50% of what?

Sivan Samira March 5, 2017

got it. 

The 50% present the status of my KPI (a measurable one). in the diagram i wrote "KPI Name" under the 50%, this is where i want the indicator (the free text which is measurable the the PM will write) to be displayed.

indicator can be any of the ones you wrote at the beginning... something that is measurable.

Sivan Samira March 5, 2017

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Hi Nic,

let's say i do have a KPI called "Adoption" that i want to measue for each of my initatives.

I want to have a goal value field (let's say 300 customers) and a current status field (30 costumers)

How can i display such KPI status? do you have an idea?

Thanks,

Sivan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2017

Ok, you'll need to find or write some code to do that sort of calculation for you. 

I'd probably lean towards a scripted field, which would be automatic, and reportable.

Like taskcontro likes this

Suggest an answer