How can i get developer license for jira and confluence to develop commercial plugins?

Deleted user September 26, 2022

Hello,

I am new to Atlassian development and need some help on how I can get developer license for Jira and Confluence. I am developing a system that will need to integrate with Jira and Confluence (cloud and data center version). I already found needed information for the cloud instances but how I can get local instance of Jira and Confluence servers? Would really appreciate if someone could point to right information.

Regards,

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2022

@[deleted] Welcome to the Atlassian community

You need to have a valid license to use data center even to develop.  If you are just testing things out I would suggest starting in cloud and then moving to data center.    

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2022

Hello @[deleted] 

It depends on what you mean by 'local instance'.

If you mean you are working for a company that has existing licenced instances of Jira and Confluence SERVER or DATA CENTRE running on their own virtual or physical systems, then you just ask the sysadmins to give you a user account from the license pool, or request a separate dev license.

If you mean you have just installed new Jira and Confluence SERVER instances yourself, on your own personal virtual or physical system, then you can't get ANY new licenses (trial, dev, commercial or other) as they were discontinued ages ago and licensing has ended.

If you mean you have just installed new Jira and Confluence DATA CENTER instances yourself, on your own personal virtual or physical system (or Docker container etc), then you need to get a licence, even to develop, as @Brant Schroeder has advised.

Thank you for all replies. I will start developing cloud version first but since most large enterprises host Jira and Confluence on their private servers it is essential to have access to local dev environment with different versions available to test compatibility. But if I understand correctly “server” and “data center” is being replaced by cloud and support ends somewhere in 2024. So most enterprises will need to migrate to cloud to keep their support. 

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2022

Most large organisation who are running Jira / Confluence Server or Data Center usually have test, dev and prod instances, at different versions levels in one form or another.

Note. It's only support for the SERVER version that ends in 2024. The DATA CENTER version is different, and development, licensing and support is still continuing.

So without a paid "Data Center" version I won't be able to get development license? 

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2022

The term 'Development License' with DC infers a complete instance, with clustering, used to replicate or pre-test the functionality of a production environment. It does not mean "A licence for a single developer to experiment with the product" the way that it did with Server.

There are ways to get trial versions of DC. Google 'jira data center developer license' to find out more on different DC licences and how to get them.

PS. There is an official Docker container, which is the best way to host and run it on a small scale for personal dev work.

I'll leave this with you now.

Like Deleted user likes this

Thank you David

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events