How can i export issue history from JIRA?

Archana Pandey November 20, 2014

i want to export issue history while exporting issues of a project. 

10 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2014

Unfortunately, that is not an option. You might want to check out the plugins in marketplace that lets you write your own export templates.

3 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016
Mouli March 9, 2020

Doesnt work on Cloud!

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 11, 2020

Better Excel Exporter doesn't yet, but PDF Exporter works on Cloud: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/5167/better-pdf-exporter-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Albert Kalytta March 1, 2021

When will Excel Exporter for cloud being a thing? I feel like people miss it desperately. 

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2021

@Albert Kalytta *sshh* You don't have to wait too long! :) Follow this feature request to be notified of updates.

2 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
March 2, 2021

Hi @Carla Ann Rowland 

Also, to avoid manual work, you can try Issue History add-on. It lets you get and save all changelogs. 

image-2022-01-14-13-20-13-643.pngRegards

2 votes
Mouli March 9, 2020

You can do it using the Jira Rest API.

Check out Chris Yong's response to this post.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-it-possible-to-get-the-issue-history-using-the-REST-API/qaq-p/510094

Reproducing it here for easier access:

Chris Young Nov 25, 2012

Jonny, that is fantastic. It works! Many Thanks.

jira = JIRA(options, basic_auth=(USERNAME, PASSWORD))

issue = jira.issue('FOO-100', expand='changelog')
changelog = issue.changelog

for history in changelog.histories:
    for item in history.items:
        if item.field == 'status':
            print 'Date:' + history.created + ' From:' + item.fromString + ' To:' + item.toString

Gives me:

Date:2012-10-23T09:49:41.197+0100 From:Open To:Queued
Date:2012-10-23T09:49:43.838+0100 From:Queued To:In Progress
Date:2012-10-23T09:49:45.390+0100 From:In Progress To:Blocked
Date:2012-10-29T16:06:36.733+0000 From:Blocked To:In Progress
Date:2012-10-31T16:47:40.191+0000 From:In Progress To:Peer Review
Date:2012-10-31T16:47:41.783+0000 From:Peer Review To:Customer Approval

Which is exactly what I wanted!

Now I can get data on cycle time, figure out where our bottlenecks are and see which tickets are dropping out of our workflow after we have commited to working on them.

Brilliant.

Many Thanks!

1 vote
Terry Hwang July 20, 2017

Check the free plugin Issue History Printer, If you want to deep history of issues.

It was useful for me when I need to get a full change history of issues.

Mouli March 9, 2020

Doesnt work for cloud. too simplistic for what i want to do..

0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2020

I open the issue, click on History tab and then right click and print to .pdf. It is high level and works for me.

0 votes
mikko_ohtamaa October 13, 2020

If you are looking to analyze the history, which would be the most common reason to export it, here is a nice Python/Docker tool to analyse some metrics from JIRA, by Martin Aspeli from Deloitte:

https://github.com/DeloitteDigitalUK/jira-agile-metrics

0 votes
Tomasz Kustrzynski July 26, 2017

In case anyone is interested in the solution for JIRA Cloud, there's now plugin that exports history of changes to JIRA issues - Advanced Export.

Any custom or standard field can be exported with every change as a separate row to make it easy to analyse in spreadsheet or postprocess in any other way.

Here's documentation.

Full disclosure: I'm the author

Ricardo Oliveira December 21, 2018

Hello @Tomasz Kustrzynski.

My company just downloaded the Advanced Export and We are on the free trial. I am having trouble to export Jira Issues and I did not find how to get support for you. Can you help me? Basically I am having trouble when I click on Download the Excel File I have the error: "Failed - Network Failure".

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2016

A picture worth a thousand words...

(SQL for JIRA)

export to excel.gif

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2015

The SQL for JIRA plugin supports it seamlessly. Simply, execute the SQL below:

select
from
     issuechanges c 
where
    c.issueid=10000

it will fetch the full change history for the given issue id (10000 in the example).

Note: the SQL for JIRA plugin provides a pure JDBC driver that you can use to connect remotely to the JIRA API from any JDBC compliant tool (Birt, Jasper Reports, custom Java program, etc) and export data from there in the usual way.

vivuu June 12, 2017

How we can customise the query for scenario given below.

We have to export the list of issues of Project ORR and Issutype RTM, which got changes last week with following information.

1) List of issues, With Issue key

2) What changes done to the field ( Before value and current value)

3) Who made the changes

4) When the changes sone)

Like EkaterinaNazarova likes this

Suggest an answer