How can i easily change projectlead (bulk change) in jira cloud?

Bruno Staub May 7, 2021

How can i easily change projectlead (bulk change) in jira cloud?
Can i use an automation rule for doing this or do i need a plugin?

thanks for feedback.

5 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Automation can't do it.

As usual Bob Swift's excellent ACLI (Atlassian Command Line Interface) can

You would use updateProject with --lead parameter. To change in Bulk, you could combine that with runFromProjectList 

It would be something like:

acli --action runFromProjectList --regex "ZJIRACLIPROJECTS.*" \
--common "-a updateProject \
--project \"@project@\" --lead \"newlead@yourcompany.com\" " --continue

Or if you have a list of projects in a CSV where you need to bulk-change the lead, you could do something like this:

acli --action runFromCSV --file newleads.csv --common "-a updateProject \
--project \"@project@\" --lead \"@lead@\" " \
--options setReplacementVariables --continue

This assumes a newleads.csv file that looks like this:

project,lead
FOO,foolead@yourcompany.com
BAR,barlead@yourcompany.com

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Automation is for changing issues, not project settings.  Also, there's no bulk change for project lead, as there's only one lead per project.

I don't remember seeing any app that would allow you to change the lead for multiple projects in one go, I'd be looking to scriptrunner to write some one-off code for it.

1 vote
Anna Konieczna May 17, 2022

I assume that you've resolved your issue. But maybe someone else will have similar issue. I can recommend using add-ons called  Projectrak - Project Tracking for Jira. 

If you have any question how to do using that, please don't hesitate to contact me :) 

Huwen Arnone _Deiser_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 17, 2022

Thank you very much for the recommendation, @Anna Konieczna; however, the bulk change feature is only available for the Data Center/Server version at the moment. 

If @Bruno Staub, you're more curious about our app in its cloud version, you can check it here.

Thanks!

Anna Konieczna May 18, 2022

@Huwen Arnone _Deiser_  oh ok. I was thinking that it also works for jira cloud. I'm using server and it works perfect for me :) 

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2021

There's a free app I made on marketplace that does just that using CSV.

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

I suspect the Jira API could do it, but that's still writing some code (outside of Jira Automation).

Suggest an answer