How can a general user find out who are the project admins of a Jira project?

I've been scouring the interwebs (and Atlassian Answers) trying to find an answer to this question and either I'm looking in the wrong place or such an answer doesn't exist. If you are are general user in a JIRA instance, is there a way through the UI, to determine who are the project admins of a project? 

We have a small group of "spare time" system admins trying to support over 1K+ users. We get a lot of requests for, "please grant me permissions to project X". We would prefer to have people go directly to the project admins of a project, both because we don't have the bandwidth to handle such requests and we don't know if these people should have such access on a given project in the first place. We would much prefer they go directly to the project admins for such request. However, unless they have a way to find out who they are, we end up having to look it up for them.

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi Jason,

You can achieve this by using Script Runner Web Panel with a code similar to the one below. This will add a panel to every issue in the right section which will show a list of users which are in the project Administrators role.

This sample code is tested with web panel location atl.jira.view.issue.right.context.

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.APKeys;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.security.roles.ProjectRoleManager;
def issue = context.issue as Issue
def roleManager = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(ProjectRoleManager)
def adminsRole = roleManager.getProjectRole("Administrators")
def actors = roleManager.getProjectRoleActors(adminsRole, issue.projectObject)
def users =  actors.collect({
	it.applicationUsers
}).flatten()
def baseUrl = ComponentAccessor.getApplicationProperties().getString(APKeys.JIRA_BASEURL)
def html = ""
users.each {
//	html+="<li>$it.displayName</li>"
	html+=$/<li><a class="user-hover" rel="$it.username" id="view_${issue.projectObject.key}_projects_$it.username"
	href="$baseUrl/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=$it.username">$it.displayName</a>
   </li>/$
}
writer.write("<ul>$html</ul>")

here's a preview of the result:

2016-06-10_0935.png

Although this doesn't directly answer your immediate problem it may be a solution for your organization. If you find that your JIRA admins are being bombarded with these types of requests, is it an option to use JIRA itself to build a workflow to manage the request?

In other words, I want to be added to a project, so I create a JIRA issue e.g a Project Access Request. With the magic of custom fields and post-functions we can probably work out a mechanism to route the request to the appropriate project owner.

I've built this for others so let me know if you are interested and I can share the details. 

0 votes

There is no way to find it out from the UI. A simple add-on can expose the details but it is not there by default.

It might make sense to list out the project owners in your company intranet (or confluence if you have it), although it comes with the extra burden of keeping the list updated.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,174 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot