How can I use Subtask hour estimates in the Burndown Report??

Hi All,

I apologize in advance, if this is a question that keeps getting asked. I have researched and see this has been asked, but in earlier versions of JIRA, so hopefully it is resolved in the newest version. 

My company uses three levels: Epic, User Story, Subtasks. 
At the User Story level, we use Story Points. In our case, they are not directly related to hours. The Story Points are a relative measure of Complexity and Effort.

Then below the User Story, the team creates Subtasks under each User Story. These are the tasks that need to be completed for a User Story to be done. And these tasks are estimated by number of hours to complete.

I am looking for a Burndown report that has the total, combined number of hours of subtasks on the Y axis and the days of the Sprint on the X axis.

Team Foundation Server had this feature and it was EXTREMELY helpful.  

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/assistance!

2 answers

Hello,

In your Burndown chart you can change the estimation to "Original Estimate". JIRA automatically sums the extimates/logged time from the children to the parent.

Caroline I'm New Here Jan 25, 2018

Hi - I'm having the same issue and have tried the above,  Still doesn't work.  I'm not sure what else to try

0 votes

"JIRA automatically sums the extimates/logged time from the children to the parent."

It's not true, it counts just the parent items, but we have hour estimates just the subtasks, so it's still a problem.

Yes, it absolutely does sum them up.  You can click on the button to toggle the parent's view between "this issue" and "this issue and sum of all sub-tasks" in the main issue view.

However, that is only done in the issue display, and in the issue navigator when you use the "sigma" fields to display the sums.

Jira Software however, is written to look at estimates on stories, not their sub-tasks.  So you should not expect to estimate and burn-down on sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,968 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot