How can I update a linked issue's state?

Andrew Canfield December 26, 2014

We have two agile boards, one for development and the other for testing. 

We are able to link the testing task to the original task. However, is there a way to update the status of the linked task?

For example, if once task A's status has been changed to "Done" in the development board, can the linked task B's status in the testing board be updated to "Ready to Test"?

1 answer

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2014

One way would be to use the Update issues post function from Update on Transition for JIRA to do the transition (see Transition issues). You will need JQL (in the JQL query field) to find the issue to update. Use the linkedIssues() JQL function to find the right issue using Substitution variables (like %original_key%). Then use %jql_result_list% in the Issues to update field. 

If there are any errors in your configuration, you will need to look in your JIRA application log for error log entries. Additional logging can also be turned on - see How to get problem determination information.

Andrew Canfield December 29, 2014

Thanks for the answer Bob... I'm a little new to this, and my implementation does not appear to be working, can you verify I'm approaching this correctly? 1. I added your plugin:Update on Transition 2. I am adding a Post Function to the final transition for task A. (To update task B) 3. For the sake of keeping it as simple as possible, I'm ignoring the optional conditions. 4. Issues to Update: %jql_result_list% 5. JQL Query: linkedIssues(%original_key%) 6. Transition: Development Completed 7. Assignee: Is there a way to leave this unchanged? Tester has already been assigned.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2014

Seems about right. I updated the answer with more information on problem determination. Regarding #7, normally this should be left unchanged unless you request something different. Open an issue (https://bobswift.atlassian.net/browse/CW) if it isn't working as expected.

Suggest an answer