It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I update a field value on the initial save/submission of a ticket? Edited

Somehow I've never needed to do this in 7 years as an admin...

I've been asked to create a simple workflow with the following statuses:

• Pending Supervisor Approval (which is the initial status of a newly-created issue)
  • Supervisor Approved
  • Supervisor Denied

No problem. We have a custom user picker field on the screen for supervisor. What I need to happen, that doesn't seem to be working, is for the issue to be immediately assigned to the supervisor as soon as it's submitted. 

I've edited my Create incoming transition to have a post function to copy the supervisor value into the assignee field, but that isn't happening. 

2019-09-20_1526.pngWhere am I going wrong here? How do I capture the event of "saving" the issue for the first time?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

@Esther Strom -ACP-JA- 

I think your problem exist with the post-fucntion order. as per this Post-function on Create Issue transition appears to not work

Cause

Any post functions placed after the "Creates issue originally" function will not have updates to the issue persisted to the database.

Resolution

Re-order the post-functions such that the new post-function comes before the  "Creates the issue originally" post-function.

Thank you! That did it.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

273 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you