How can I update Original Estimate after work has been logged already

Andrew Cohen January 9, 2014

I notice that if I try to edit an issue before work is logged, then I am allowed to update the original estimate. However once I log work on an issue and it shows up as Time Spent, I can no longer update the original estimate.

I understand this is bad practice and should not be enabled by default, but is there some way to do this after the fact? It really screws up lots of reports and does not look good in the Rapid Boards to not have an original estimate against issues.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014

from https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+Work+on+an+Issue:

If you cannot change Original Estimate values on issues after work has been logged on them but you wish to do so, request that your JIRA administrator disables Legacy Mode on Time Tracking.

If your JIRA administrator has added the ability to specify/modify time estimates on other workflow transition screens in JIRA's default workflow (or a d workflow), you will be able to specify/modify time estimates during those workflow transitions too. Additionally, if your JIRA administrator has added this ability to JIRA screens used by other issue types, you can also specify time estimates when creating or editing these types of issues.

Andrew Cohen January 12, 2014

Thanks, now to convince my admin (and all the other projects on the shared Jira instance) that disabling legacy mode is a good thing.

gbonk January 12, 2014

we did the same and didn't experience any issues with effecting other teams. The change was invisible to those not using time tracking ( or those that were )

1 vote
Alex_David December 6, 2018

I simply deleted all the 'Work Log' items, then when I clicked Update on the JIRA task, I was then able to update the the original estimate ... and after I changed it, I then added the 'Work Log' item back in.

Hal West May 9, 2020

Alex, what do you mean, "clicked Update on the JIRA task"?   

Nothing I've done has revealed how to reset the 'Estimated' field for Time Tracking on  an existing Jira ticket - not the Work Log tab, not the Time Tracking '+' button, not the Edit Screen.

Please explain in detail how you were able to "update the original estimate".

Alex_David May 10, 2020

Do the following steps:

- Go to the Work Log tab, and delete all of the Time spent items ... that is, move your mouse over each item, and then click the rubbish bin icon, which should bring up a Delete Worklog popup, and then just click on 'Delete' to confirm

- Then click on the Edit button (in the top left hand part of the screen), and you should see the Original Estimate field now.

I'm using Jira v7.12.3

0 votes
Alex_David May 10, 2020

Do the following steps:

- Go to the Work Log tab, and delete all of the Time spent items ... that is, move your mouse over each item, and then click the rubbish bin icon, which should bring up a Delete Worklog popup, and then just click on 'Delete' to confirm

- Then click on the Edit button (in the top left hand part of the screen), and you should see the Original Estimate field now.

I'm using Jira v7.12.3

Suggest an answer