How can I update Original Estimate after work has been logged already

I notice that if I try to edit an issue before work is logged, then I am allowed to update the original estimate. However once I log work on an issue and it shows up as Time Spent, I can no longer update the original estimate.

I understand this is bad practice and should not be enabled by default, but is there some way to do this after the fact? It really screws up lots of reports and does not look good in the Rapid Boards to not have an original estimate against issues.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

from https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+Work+on+an+Issue:

If you cannot change Original Estimate values on issues after work has been logged on them but you wish to do so, request that your JIRA administrator disables Legacy Mode on Time Tracking.

If your JIRA administrator has added the ability to specify/modify time estimates on other workflow transition screens in JIRA's default workflow (or a d workflow), you will be able to specify/modify time estimates during those workflow transitions too. Additionally, if your JIRA administrator has added this ability to JIRA screens used by other issue types, you can also specify time estimates when creating or editing these types of issues.

Thanks, now to convince my admin (and all the other projects on the shared Jira instance) that disabling legacy mode is a good thing.

we did the same and didn't experience any issues with effecting other teams. The change was invisible to those not using time tracking ( or those that were )

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

78 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you