How can I transfer a Confluence page content to Jira issue description?

Cédric Cox March 4, 2021

Hello there,

What I have:

• A story description in a Cloud Confluence page
  • A Cloud JIRA story issue

What I am trying to do:

• insert the Confluence page content into the Jira issue description.

To perform this, I use:

• The confluence API to retrieve the page content
  • JIRA automation to schedule the JIRA issue description update based on the Confluence page ID.
  • (I also could use Confluence events to publish the update in a webhook listened by JIRA automation, instead of using the scheduler trigger).

Well, this is not rocket science and works fine. But... all the body formats of the Confluence page content include html tags. And html does not render in JIRA text fields for security purpose. Since the Confluence and JIRA editors are the same, is there a way to push the content into the JIRA issue description in a way that it will render correctly for most of the Confluence tags (headings, colors, etc...) ? 

The only solution I currently see is to use a converter between html and JIRA wiki markups, but this is quite tricky and cannot be performed in the cloud environnement. 

Any guess?

Note: I could also use JIRA Cloud scriptrunner to any means.

1 answer

0 votes
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2021
Cédric Cox March 5, 2021

Hello Vero,

Thank you for the tip. However, this allows me to do the oposite of what I am trying to perform. Our single source of truth is Confluence, as indicated in the video. Despite the fact that the jira filter macro is very usefull to link the two products, it does not help me to fill the issue description with the confluence page content, as all I get is a link to confluence.

The idea is to avoid dev to go to confluence to get the information, and stay in JIRA to do their job.

Like James Mack likes this
Deleted user September 23, 2022

I am looking to do the same thing.  Is there a solution to this problem?

Like Brian Walker likes this
Stella Schmidt February 20, 2024

Hello, did you find a solution here? Looking for the same thing.

Suggest an answer