How can I track the first version where a bug was raised?

Charles Delaporte May 31, 2020

We are using the field "Affect Versions" to record which versions are affected by bugs. This includes the version where it was initially raised but also more recent versions, so that we record if the bug is still current or not. I.e. we end up recording several version numbers in this field. Sounds like we are using this field as it is meant to be used, given that it is named versions - not version.

However, we can't use this information to produce stats such as "was first raised in version". Such stats would help us understand if our versions add more bugs to the backlog.

We could of course create a new custom field to capture this information, but this results in double entry.

Any suggestion?

2 answers

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2020

Hi @Charles Delaporte ,

As of now, there is no other workaround except using a custom field.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2020

Hi Charles, for this I would suggest you create a custom field - “Found in version” and recorded it there.

Charles Delaporte May 31, 2020

Hi Jack

Thanks. The concern I have with this solution is that it requires double entry.

Is there a way to automate the copy of the information from "Affects Versions" to this custom field?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2020

Hi @Charles Delaporte 

You could use a project automation rule...

• Triggered on an issue edit,
  • With the condition that the Affects Version is not empty and your new custom field (e.g. Found in Version) is empty, and
  • An action to set the value of the new custom field.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events