How can I track how long a work item has been in a certain status?

Jeff Davis February 10, 2021

Is there a query I can build, or some other tool in JIRA, that can show me stories that have been, for example, in "in progress" status for longer than three days? It would be helpful for me to build a dashboard to understand where work items might be slowing down so I can approach those team members to see what they may need. This information doesn't always get raised at standups and at scrum-of-scrums.

4 answers

1 vote
Mark February 10, 2021

@Jeff Davis If you have access to eazyBI there's an "Average time in status" report you can build. The eazyBI documentation is very easy to follow:
https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/learn-more/learn-eazybi-through-sample-reports/samples-jira-issues/average-time-in-status-cycle-time

Thanks, Mark. I'm assuming eazyBI doesn't come with JIRA OOTB. If that's the case, I'm sure we don't have it. Our JIRA instance lives on a classified government server.

Mark February 10, 2021

I'm guessing not... If you have it, it'll be here:

image.png

Like Jeff Davis likes this

Confirmed, I do not have eazyBI. I really appreciate you mentioning this to me, though. I might be able to make a business case for getting this add-on in the future, given we often find ourselves needing reports more advanced than what comes with JIRA.

1 vote
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 10, 2021

Hi @Jeff Davis ,

There is no OOTB solution for this but you can use the Enhancer Plugin for Jira.

Enhancer has Time in Status custom field that can be configured to calculate how many days issues are in a certain status. You can later use this field in the issue navigator to perform searches.

cf-statustimer-4.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-10 at 17.15.49.png

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Gökçe

Please note that I'm one of the members of the Snapbytes team.

OK, thank you, Gökçe. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 12, 2021

Hi @Jeff Davis ,

As an alternative, you can try Status Time app developed by our team. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status as well as status entry dates and status transition count.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project).

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free. Hope it helps.

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
February 10, 2021

Hello @Jeff Davis ,

For an automated solution that offers great flexibility and details, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time or Lead Time

You can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the total InProgress time per Epic, or average Resolution Time per issuetype).

tisCloud_StatusDuration_Report.png  tisCloud_IssueView_Chart_StackedColumn.png  tisCloud_MainPage_Chart_Pie_ExcludeMarked.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

The app has Custom calendar support that your are looking for. This feature enables you to get your reports based on a 24/7 calendar or your custom business calendar. (This one is important because a 24/7 calendar in most cases shows misleading data. For example an issue created at 16:00 on Friday and was resolved at 09:00 on next Monday seems to stay open for 2,5 days but in terms of business hours, it is only a few hours. You can see this using Time in Status by OBSS.)

Finally, the app has History Trim feature. This feature allows you to report on a subsection of issue histories instead of the whole history. Very useful when you want to focus on changes made during sprint or project phase.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets (released for Cloud, Server & DC gadget coming very soon)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

Suggest an answer