How can I stop JIRA from auto-assigning the Assignee

Brian Cummings May 25, 2014

I want to be able to move a agile ticket from Open to In Progress without changing the assignee. When I go to the workflow step, Start Progress, and look at the post functions, there does not appear to be any of the post functions that are assigning the logged in user as the assignee:

1. The Resolution of the issue will be cleared.
  2. Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  3. Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  4. Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  5. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  6. Fire a Work Started On Issue event that can be processed by the listeners.

How can I keep the assigned user from changing?

11 answers

10 votes
Franco Scaramuzza January 6, 2015

As Admin go in your Admin drop down menu to Issues.

Go to Workflows

Duplicate the default JIRA workflow

Click the (Start Progress) arrow going from OPEN to IN PROGRESS

Click on Post Functions

Remove "3. Assign the issue to the current user. Please note that the issue will only be assigned to the current user if the current user has the 'Assignable User' permission."

Add this to your Workflow to your projects

Matt Wu June 1, 2020

Hi Franco Scaramuzza,

There is no "Assign the issue to the current user. Please note that the issue will only be assigned to the current user if the current user has the 'Assignable User' permission." in my Post Functions, but it is always auto-assigning to current user, why?

Matt Wu June 1, 2020

Oh, I find the question, thanks.

Marino Souza June 25, 2021

Thank you very much, after 5 years of wrong workflow, now we have found the fix!

2 votes
Simon Lucchesini November 12, 2020

Hello ! I've been confronted to the same situation myself and finally found out the culprit: the project default assignee configuration is in User and roles.

Capture.PNG

To change it you need to click on "Edit defaults" on the top-right corner.

Dave Hattig June 23, 2021

Yes thank you. That was it. I had Default assignee set to project lead instead of unassigned.

In cloud the path is Project Settings > Details > Default Assignee

Like Matt Wu likes this
2 votes
Nick Knuth August 29, 2018

Has this actually been solved?  I have Scrum Masters that often end up updating tasks for team members and when they move the tasks they get reassigned to the SM so the SM has to reassign the task back to the correct assignee every time.  Is there a way to prevent this auto assign from occurring when moving through the workflow? 

1 vote
Laura S January 28, 2021

This started happening with a new project and it drove me crazy looking everywhere in transitions, custom scripts, etc. Turned out to be:

Settings > Projects > click on project name e.g. ABC > displays Project Settings > Users and roles > Edit defaults > popup: Edit Project lead and Default Assignee for Project: ABC

Project Lead: YourLeadsJiraID
Default Assignee: dropdown defaulted to Project Lead > change to Unassigned > Update

Jira server 8.5.0

IMHO, it should default to unassigned to begin with to avoid just this problem.

0 votes
Nesya Putri June 15, 2020

Hi @Brian Cummings @Franco Scaramuzza  also experienced this, but as i checked my post functions theres only (i check it in every transition flow):

• The Resolution of the issue will be cleared.
  • Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  • Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  • Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  • Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  • Fire a Work Started On Issue event that can be processed by the listeners.

there is no post function for assignees, and i also use this flow on 2 boards, weirdly the auto assigned only work in 1 board, is there any other way to turn off the auto assigned? 

Leonhard July 22, 2020

did someone by any chance has achieved something here?

strangely this started to happen for me now as well, seems to be happening not for every user, but only for some.

Driving us crazy :/

0 votes
Jonathan Verity April 22, 2015

Just what I was looking for, thank you @Franco Scaramuzza!

0 votes
Tim Hingeley December 17, 2014

I had exactly this same problem and was able to fix it by running the "Simplify Workflow" function on the board configuration.  Board->Configuration->Columns and click Simplify Workflow.

I'm new to Jira, so I don't know what other side effects this may have.

0 votes
holly_stites_veeva December 17, 2014

Has anyone figured out the answer to this?  I'm encountering the same issue.  The issue is auto-assigned to the current user when an issue is transitioned on the Agile work board even if the workflow is not specifically assigning a user.

0 votes
Girish Shenoy July 25, 2014

Hi Brian,

Even I have the same problem. I checked the Agile workflow post function and did not find any condition that will assign the issue to the user who drags the issue from to-do to In Progress state using Agile Board.

Even the Auto Assign option is unchecked in the JIRA Agile configuration. Anyone facing the same problem?

Yevgenia Lakhtyuk October 12, 2018

I do

Judy Colonero July 12, 2019

I do as well.  I noticed that whoever is the 'Project Lead' automatically gets assigned a newly created issue.  We should be able to denote a project lead but also have the ability to have issues not automatically assigned. 

0 votes
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2014

Do you have the assignee field show up on the screen transition? If so, it might be getting set there if they assignee field is automatic and you have some rule to assign it to currentuser or something.

Girish Shenoy July 27, 2014

Hi Luther,

I dont have any option where I have selected auto assign issues in the workflow.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2014

There is an option in the grasshopper setup that will auto assign the issue to whoever moves it to the new status.

Brian Cummings May 27, 2014

i looked and the setting is not checked.

Suggest an answer