How can I sort issue list by "Done" date?

David Aberdeen September 12, 2013

I would like to see a list of issues in the order they were "Done", latest first. I use this as a release list, to easily see what has recently changed, and also what changes take place between various update releases. (I add in a "Story" issue for each udpate or beta release, so these would also appear in the timeline.)

The issues do have an "Updated date", but this is updated with any changes, not just Status changes, so if an issue is or commented on after it was done, then it comes to the top of the list. Ideally I would like to sort on a statusChangeDate, but there doesn't seem to be anything like this. Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2013

Two steps to do

• add a custom field "done date"
  • in your postfunction to status done set this field via post function to the current date

now you can sort by "done date"

I can Add a new Post function, and select "Update Issue Field", but it seems to have very limited options there. The Issue field only has a few options, not including any of my custom fields, and seems to only have options to set the fields to fixed values, not a function. How do I setup the post function to set my DoneDate field to the current date/time?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2013

You would need to use the post function "Update Issue Custom Field". There you can set all customfields. "Update Issue Field" is used for standard fields.

Jira gives me the following options for Post Functions...

• Assign to Current User
  • Assign to Lead Developer
  • Assign to Reporter
  • Create Perforce Job Function
  • Notify HipChat
  • Trigger a Webhook
  • Update Issue Field

There is no option for "Update Issue Custom Field". Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there some other method for editing the Post Functions? I'm using Administration/Issues/Workflows, and edit my Workflow. I've tried both the Diagram and Text methods, and they both have the same list of options.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2013

I see, sorry I took it for granted that some plugins are installed. You would need to install JSU Plugin which provides this post function.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

Oh, yep, there it is now! :P

Another trick for the newbie is that the edited workflow must be PUBLISHED before it takes effect. That held me up for a while.

1 vote
Viswanath K February 9, 2018

Use Resolved Field to Know the Date of Story moved to Done State and further export to Excel for re-ordering which is simpler

0 votes
Alexander Bogin June 15, 2014

Hello everyone!

This issue is relevant for me also, I did as described, added custom field "done date", I see that it is filled with actual time of closing item, but still sorting doesnt work.

JQL filter that I use - ORDER by "done date" DESC

is it wrong filter?

It does work in the issue navigator screen! but no on Kanban board

any help will be much appreciated!

regards,

Alexander Bogin

Suggest an answer