How can I share a dashboard with everyone

Reinaldo Castro June 23, 2017

Hi, I need to share with my customer one dashboard that I made. Idon't need to put in my project permission in the "find project" section "group - anyone" any user without login can see a few of the charts but this is a mistake because I don't want anybody see other information, for example the project menu option.

Whe I create the dashboard I add the option of "public share" the system give me a giant message that says anonymous users will be able to view it but they can not see it.

How can I do this without expousse othe information or other menu options.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2017

JIRA is quite careful about the security of issues and tries to be consistent with a very simple rule - if you can't see the issue, you cannot see anything about it at all. 

It is dropped from reports, summaries, gadgets, search results, *everything*.

This, of course, applies to your dashboards.  If you want a user to see the reports in full, then you have to let them see the issues the reports are based on.  This means they have to be able to see the projects, and if you can see projects, then you need the project menu.  If you want people to see accurate reports, you need to give them access to the data you are reporting on.

Reinaldo Castro June 23, 2017

Thanks Nic for your answer but I don't have the same Idea. We use Jira for Scrum Project and we need to share with our costumer one dashboard to let him view when he need the progress of the project. For this is what I need share one public dashboard, only charts and numbers like any dashboar of progress.

If this was like you tell me, which is the reason for the option "share public" of the one dashboard that you make?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2017

The "share public" on the dashboard is there to do what it says - share the dashboard with everyone.

If there are pieces of data on a shared dashboard that should not be public, then JIRA does the right thing, and hides them.If you want to share information with someone, you need to give them access to it.

Reinaldo Castro June 26, 2017

Sorry Nic but I don't think that this was the better way to share information with the customer. If you have any experience with others projects management systems like project server (for waterfall method), odoo or taiga, you don't need give to your customer the ability to access to a lot of information for give an a simple report of the project.

Like # people like this

If I give my client the ability to access the projects, manage the sprints, among other things I would be making a mistake, this is absurd. There should be a way to provide a link where my client can see an updated report every time he wants to consult without having the risk that he can enter in the sprint and modify some

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2017

If a user can't see the information on which you are basing reports, then they can't have any faith in your reporting.  This has always been a massive problem with project server and taiga where I've run into them - "trust me and my reporting, but no, we're not letting you see what we're basing them on or how they are generated" is a poor approach.

Okay, you are a risky person, no problem. Let them move or make any changes in your project. This is a poor approach. Best regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2017

No.  I give them read-only access.  Then they can see that they can trust my reports, and go and build their own, saving me time.  And get involved in the collaboration if I let them have some more rights.  It's a far better model, to work with your clients.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer