How can I set up an admin override of status or transitions?

Emily Jarvis June 19, 2018

Hello, 

I've created my own workflows and I need to be able to have an Admin or even a Project Manager role be able to move the issue to any status from any status. In digging through all the community posts, the only thing I've seen is to create an "All" transition on each status that allows me to restrict that transition to certain users. However, that leaves me with 2 transitions on a number of statuses. (Meaning the transition from the previous step, plus the All transition)

Is there just a standard Admin override or permission override that I can set allowing a certain group to use any status and any transition for all workflows in my project?

Thanks!

Emily

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2018

Hello,

There is the Transition Issues permission in the project configuration scheme. You can grant this permission to users who can transition issues.

If you want to make certain users to transition to certain statuses then you can use conditions on these transitions and you can add the required users to these conditions.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2018

No, you can not make a single transition, which can lead to any status from any status. You need to create a global transition from any status to a particular status. There will be as many such global transitions as many statuses.

Like Hira Ahmed Shaikh likes this
Emily Jarvis June 21, 2018

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say global transition, do you mean clicking "Allow all statuses to transition to this one"? If that is the case, I've done that on my workflows and that has resulted in 2 transitions with duplicate names, on a number of statuses (see both screenshots).

Is this how this should look? Should I just rename the duplicate transitions to something like "QA (Admin override)", "Documentation (Admin override)" or "Pending Build (Admin override)"?

Selection in an issue.pngWorkflow.png

Like Hira Ahmed Shaikh likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

Yea, that is what I meant. Just call these transactions differently and add conditions that only admins can execute these transactions.

Thank you, thank you! I was doing it right, I just got thrown by having to name the transitions differently. Appreciate it

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

You are welcome! If you feel like your question is answered, kindly accept this answer. In this case people with a similar question will be able to find this answer.

done, thanks.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

You are welcome!

1 vote
Emily Jarvis June 20, 2018

Alexey, 

Thanks for your reply, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a transition that is basically Any Status to Any Status, then set that with a condition of only Administrators.

I'm looking at the Transition Issues permission and all it states it that it grants users the "ability to transition issues". That's just the generic permission that allows anyone to transition issues within the confines of how the Workflow is established. So that one is out...

On the Workflow itself, I can put a permission on each transition, but again that's only from one particular status to another particular status.

Here is an example of what I'm trying to do. Say I have a Workflow that has these Statuses, New > Development > QA > Verified > Closed. Now say I have the following transitions:

'New' to 'Development'

'Development' to 'QA'

'QA' to 'Verified' or 'Development'

'Verified' to 'Closed' or 'QA'

Without putting an 'All' transition on each status, how can I have an Admin take something from 'Closed' to 'New' or 'Development' straight to 'Close'. Is there one transition that I can setup saying this one user can transition to any step regardless of the workflow?

Thanks!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2018

You will need to create (protected) transitions between each and every status to do this.

0 votes
Emily Jarvis June 19, 2018

Just to clarify, I also need to maintain the regular workflow restrictions for my developers and QA. I can't have every person be able to transition to any status.

Jorge August 29, 2022

Hi Emily,

Did you find a solution to this?

Prashanth May 26, 2023

Hi Emiliy

in case you found a solution , please share it here. Even i am facing the same issue. 

Thanks

Prashanth

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question