How can I set the actor as the user who made the changes instead of fixing a specific user?

JH July 8, 2021

Hi, 

I have an automation rules whereby when the progress reaches 100%, the status of the issue will change to Done. And the actor should be the one who update the progress to 100%. May I know how can I set this? I couldn't see "Automation for Jira" as an actor here. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

Hi @JH ,

i have to go by the cloud version here as I don't have the server version installed.

On Cloud you can set the actor on the rule details as a specific user or as the user who triggered the event.

image.png

could you maybe check if that too is available to you?

JH July 8, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans ,

Unfortunately I couldn't see this from my side. I can only select jira users. Or is there anything I need to do or set in order to get this? 

Thank you.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

It indeed seems to be unavailable on the Server version.. bummer..

I tried looking thru documentation but can't really find anything about it.

If the smart value suggested by @Fabian Lim  doens't work I'd suggest opening a call with Atlassian directly (https://support.atlassian.com/contact) as they acquired the app some time ago.

Hopefully  they can tell us how to do it or create a new suggestion to develop it.

JH July 12, 2021

Thank you for the advice @Dirk Ronsmans

I shall look for the technical support on this. 

2 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2021

Hi @JH

You need to use the {{initiator}} smart value to the user customfield. Usually I would use the assignee field, but you could use whatever customfield you have for the actor. 

Details here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-users/

Fabian

JH July 8, 2021

Hi @Fabian Lim ,

I have tried to enter this but it only allows the input of a user as below:

Capture.JPG

Any idea on how can I input this actor as assignee?

Thank you. 

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

@JH  In that case I would suggest the customfield to be a single textfield instead of user.  

But yes, like @Dirk Ronsmans said, we should have the ability to enter smart values in the future.  

Suggest an answer