How can I search to see which projects have enabled parallel sprints?

Theo Xavier (ANZ)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 6, 2019

Is there a JQL query I can run to find which projects have enabled multiple active sprints?

We have decided to disable the ability to do parallel sprints but prior to making that change we need to find which users will be affected to reach out to me, And right now, there doesn't seem to be a efficient way of doing this.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2019

Hi Theo,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. I see you are looking to determine which projects are utilizing the parallel sprint feature in Jira Software.

This is difficult to answer, because the option to enable parallel sprints is not set on a project by project basis.  If you enable this option in Jira Software, it is enabled for the entire site (ie across all projects).   So that is the first hurdle in identifying who is using this.

Second hurdle is that sprints are technically not bound to specific projects.  Lots of Jira users tend to presume that sprints are specific to a single project because in a default configuration they tend to be, but I assure you sprints are not specific to a single project.  See the KB Sprints shared between multiple boards for more details.  It highlights a scenario where sprints can be seen across multiple boards and multiple projects simultaneously.

Jira Software designed sprints to be able to take in issues from across multiple projects intentionally.  A sprint has to be created on a board, and a board has to have a filter.  But Jira does not mandate that the issues selected by the filter be in a single project.   So if all your boards are using filters that specify a single project, then it is feasible to determine which projects might be using parallel sprints.  But I don't want to make that assumption because it's very possible your site has boards that use filters for multiple projects (or no projects, thereby selecting issues by some other jql search parameters).

With all of that said, I'm still interested to see if we can find a way to help you here.  But I should preface this by saying it might not be possible to do exactly what you are looking for here.  Since you appear to be in a server or data center deployment, I would take to SQL to try to make this determination.  Would you be willing to share the results of these two SQL queries to see if we can help here?

1. SELECT * FROM "AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW";
  2. SELECT * FROM "AO_60DB71_SPRINT";
  3. select * from searchrequest sr
    join "AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW" rv on rv."SAVED_FILTER_ID"=sr.id
    where sr.id = rv."SAVED_FILTER_ID";

First query will list the details of all the boards in Jira Software, second query has all the details of the sprints.   The third query will show us the saved filters that are in use by any board in Jira.  Perhaps with this info we can come up with some better answers here, or additional queries that might be better able to make this identification.

Please let me know.

Andy

Theo Xavier (ANZ)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 17, 2019

Thanks Andy! That was very helpful.

I've been able to derive the results I needed by running the below query based on your initial input.

select NAME, OWNER_USER_NAME from dbo.AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW where ID in (select RAPID_VIEW_ID from dbo.AO_60DB71_SPRINT where CLOSED = 'false' and STARTED = 'true' group by RAPID_VIEW_ID having count(*) > 1)

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2019

Hi Theo,

Thanks for sharing your SQL query here! Glad to hear this helped.

Andy

Suggest an answer