How can I restrict view/edit of certain fields on Jira Cloud?

PaulC February 25, 2020

I am trying to set up a Recruit-type project on Jira Cloud and I would like to make certain fields (Salary for example) visible only to some users in the organisation. Can anyone help?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2020

Out of the box JIRA doesn't allow that. There are some workarounds using scriptrunner, but you may not have that available in cloud. 

PaulC February 25, 2020

Thanks @Joe Pitt! I found this https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira Any indication as to what script I should use? 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2020

@PaulC No. I don't use scripts. I do government contracting and have historically found whoever inherits JIRA when the contract ends may not be able to support them.  

PaulC February 25, 2020

That's a good point :) Thanks!

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2020

As for restricting view..

Atlassian OOTB do not offer any solution for field security, so I guess only way is to do via extension/customization. I know for Server there are few extensions that could help with that but unfortunately I am not aware of anything for Cloud... 

Restricting the editing might be possible via procedure like this

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/how-can-i-control-the-editing-of-issue-fields-via-workflow-149834.html

But if you are using Next Gen projects it might not be valid

PaulC February 25, 2020

Thanks @Mirek ! But I need more than editing restrictions. It's important that the field is not visible to certain users.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2020

Then this is what I mentioned already for viewing Atlassian do not provide any field security settings that would allow hide the field from specific people/groups. For Server there are some extensions, but for Cloud version I am unfortunately not aware of any solution

PaulC February 25, 2020

Ok, @Mirek thanks for your help!

Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2020

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm that the ScriptRunner for JIRA Cloud plugin is unable to perform any dynamic validation on issue forms to link, show or hide fields like the server version can with the Behaviors feature.

Also I can confirm that the plugin cannot dynamically populate field values like it can in the server version can with the Behaviors feature.

The reason we are unable to provide this functionality is due to the restricted functionality and API's which Atlassian provide inside JIRA Cloud, due to the fact that Atlassian only provide a Rest API in Jira Cloud and not the same Java API that the server version contains.

You can see more detailed information on the differences between ScriptRunner for JIRA Cloud and ScriptRunner for JIRA Server inside of the documentation page located here.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Kristian

PaulC February 26, 2020

hi @Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_ thank you very much for jumping it. That saved me some time testing and trying to get things to work. If this won't work either, should I take it that it's impossible to achieve what I asked?

Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 26, 2020

Hi Paul,

I can confirm that it is not possible to achieve your requirement with ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud.

Regards,

Kristian

Like PaulC likes this

Suggest an answer