How can I restrict project admin permissions?

Leslie Barrett March 23, 2018

I want to prevent project admins from being able to change their project names in Jira. They aren't trying to change the project key, just the name(s). The changes have reporting repercussions across our corporate systems.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2018

The Administer Projects permission in the permission scheme for the project controls the ability to change project names.  Restricting this will also prevent them from the ability to edit project role membership, project components, project versions and some project details ('Project Name', 'URL', 'Project Lead', 'Project Description').

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/managing-project-permissions-720412504.html

Perhaps you can adjust your reports to not depend on project name?

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2018

Perhaps use Project Categories?

Leslie Barrett March 27, 2018

We are a highly regulated business which restricts a lot of processes and policies here. I believe that I can use Profields to manage fields at a project level. Thank you much for your replies - much appreciated!

0 votes
Dale Keller January 14, 2020

If you have the ScriptRunner add-on you can create a Fragment to hide the Project Details link within the project administrators section.  We were experiencing the same problem where users were changing the name of the project within our production instance which then wouldn't match our development or customer test instance.  I'm including the fragment code which I used to not hide it from a particular group.  Hope this helps.

In the Hide what field you'll select:  jira.webfragments.view.project.operations:edit_project

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.security.groups.GroupManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;

def groupManager = ComponentAccessor.getGroupManager();
def currentUser = ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser();

if ( groupManager.isUserInGroup(currentUser, "jira-support") ) {
return true;
}

return false;

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2018

If you're looking for a technical solution to what should be a policy issue you're doomed to keep chasing your tail so to speak. Give the first one 2 days off without pay and they will learn. 

Leslie Barrett March 27, 2018

100% agree :)

Suggest an answer