How can I report on original estimate field being changed

Ryan Amos November 26, 2018

I am trying to find a way to see all issues where the original estimate has been changed from the original. Currently the only way I have of doing this is to manually work through the work logs

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mathy Vanvoorden November 26, 2018

Is using ScriptRunner a valid solution for you? If so you could either create a listener script that monitors the changes and sends an instant notification when someone changes the field or run a custom script at set times that checks all the issues.

If ScriptRunner is a no-go you could also pull this data directly from the database.

Ryan Amos November 27, 2018

Thanks for the response both. Scriptrunner looks like the way to go. I don't have access to the database I don't believe as I'm using the cloud based version.

Josh May 4, 2023

I tried to achieve this with the Script runner using every example I could find. I did not succeed. Do you have the recipe for this? 

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2018

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for raise this question with us.

Just to ensure that we are on on the same page, please confirm to me if I've properly understood your question:

You'd like to be notified or know by any reports when the field Original Estimate is edited for already created issues and not on issue creation, is it correct?

If that is the feature you are looking for, I can think of some options that can give you this functionality by using the plugin Automation for JIRA. Basically, you will need to create a rule that will trigger an action if the field is changed after the issue creation (Notification, change custom field value, add a comment, etc)  and use this action to filter the issues using JQL.

Please, allow me to give you an example of how I would configure this rule:

- Created a text custom field, But I didn't add it to the creation screen of the issue

- Created a rule that will add a value to the custom field every time the time tracking is edited, after the issue creation:

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.00.42.png

Please, let me know if it works for you.

Suggest an answer