How can I remove stale commits from JIRA tasks?

We have OnDemand JIRA and use BitBucket.

Occasionally, we perform a git rebase to remove incorrect commits. Especially ones that forget to add the issue tag to the commit message.

Because of this, other commits that were modified as part of the rebase show up as duplicates attached to their respective issues.

Eventually, BitBucket prunes the orphaned commits. But JIRA does not remove the links from the issues.

At this point, JIRA has commit links that show up as 404s if you click on them.

Re-indexing does not appear to resolve this.

Is there any other steps we can take to remove this clutter?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

You can hard refresh the data stored by the DVCS Connector by visiting Cog (Administration) menu -> Add-ons -> DVCS Accounts. Then Shift+Click the refresh icon next to the repository that has had data rewritten. From the dialog that appears, you can force a complete refresh.

Thank you for this information. Shift+Click was definately not intuitive.

It'd also be nice if JIRA (and Bamboo has this issue too) did this automatically. Thanks!

Cannot find DVCS Accounts in the JIRA Cloud admin.

I did this, and it half worked.

Now, in the jira dev panel, the commit count still includes the stale commits. when i click the link, i only see the current live commits (so that's an improvement), but underneath them, it says "You don't have access to view all related commits"

Yeah, that's definitely a bug! (ps i am an admin).

@Marcus BertrandThis is not a solution but a workaround. If one's workflow is based on rebases, they'll have to perform full sync over and over again, and it'll never give them the right feeling. Rebases should be dealt with automatically.

I agree with @Mike Gelfand this workaround is inconvenient and for admin users only.

What about to make an option inside the Jira task to refresh commits just for the task? This option should be accessible for all users with edit task rights.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

165 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you