How can I remove/delete a "task" on a board?

Darnell White
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 8, 2021

I have a task/job on one of my boards that i need to delete because it no long needs to be done. All I seem to be able to do it move it from lowest priority to highest priority but I cant delete. Any suggestions?

2 answers

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Hi Darnell - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First, let me say that in my opinion, it is never a good idea to delete issues. 

What we do instead is to add a status in the workflow for Discarded or Aborted or Abandoned or something like that. Those statuses would be a Done status category and you should set the Resolution to Obsolete or Won't Do or something like that. 

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Hi Darnell, welcome to the Community.

So you should really never (actually rarely ever) delete issues. If the case you have outlined I would be better to set to Done status and choose a Resolution as maybe "Won't Do" or maybe you create a "Cancelled" status if this is something that is done alot.

now if you want to delete even still then you will need delete permissions for which you need to chat w/ your admin. the delete option is found under the ellipses of the detailed issue view.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events