How can I query a ticket status as of end of the sprint?

Karthick Solaimalai October 2, 2018

Hi,

I'm looking to create custom reports (using JQL queries) based on what was committed vs. delivered in a given sprint.  The problem I'm running into is how do I query for status as of the end of sprint (as it is displayed in the "Sprint Report").  As Jira tickets get updated even after the sprint has ended, how do I "freeze" the status of the Jira ticket as of the end of sprint?

Thanks in advance! 

Karthick

We are using Jira Cloud btw.

2 answers

3 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2018

The sprint report is taking a snapshot of the issues and their statuses at that time.  To try to recreate this via JQL is a bit different, because issues can still change status and even been added/removed after the sprint is actually completed.

However since JQL does track historical changes to some system fields like status, you could probably use a JQL query such as

sprint="Example sprint name" AND status was "Example status name" on "2018/07/30 12:15"

But understand that this will only return issues to you in that are currently in that sprint AND that had this specific status at this specific date/time.  In this case, you would need to find the date/time that the sprint was closed and specify this in the JQL in order to see these results

Karthick Solaimalai October 4, 2018

Thanks for getting back to me.  👍 Technically your proposal can work; but we have 40+ scrum teams starting and stopping sprints on a weekly basis on different time/day and its going to be really tricky to pull this on a regular basis.  I will play with this a little bit more and come back to you here if I have any additional questions.

Thanks again!  🙏🏼

Stephanus Meiring January 13, 2021

Any solution to this Karthick?

0 votes
Marine Redon April 3, 2023

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm trying to build a dashboard and I don't think I can put a JQL query as statistic type. 

Suggest an answer