How can I query Epics by issue title contained?

Lorenzo June 10, 2022

Hallo everyone!

I have to query all the Epics in a project containing issues (tasks) named "Installation" and NOT containing issues named "Rechnungsstellung".

Is there a way to do this?

I tried with this search:

type = Epic AND project = XXX AND text~ "installation" AND text!~ "Rechnungsstellung"

and this

type = Epic AND project = XXX AND issue~ "installation" AND issue!~ "Rechnungsstellung"

but it didn´t work.

Thank you in advance.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2022

Hi @Lorenzo

welcome to the community!

If I understand you correctly, you have two "problems" - first, grab issues that contain one word but not the other, and second, to grab the epics that contain these very issues.

For the former, @karel_mellen's answer might help.

For the latter: That's not really possible in "native" JQL, unfortunately. You'll need to,

• either try one of the various JQL extensions that are available on the Marketplace. I'm not really an expert in these, but JQL Search Extensions has a "EpicsOfChildrenInQuery" function that sounds promising; 
  • or try one of the various hierarchy-focused apps from the Marketplace. These apps don't rely on JQL to establish parent-child relationships, but have their own ways of doing so. 

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2022

Just to add to the second option: My team is working on one of these "hierarchy-focused" apps, JXL for Jira. This is how this would work in JXL:

• First, create a so-called "sheet" in JXL that includes a.) all the tasks that fulfil the Installation vs. Rechnungsstellung requirement (assuming that Karel's solution works 🤞), plus b.) any possible epic; e.g., all epics from the given project. Don't worry about the parent/child relationship; JXL will sort this out for you.
  • In your JXL sheet, enable the default issue hierarchy. This is a one-click operation.
  • In your JXL sheet, filter out all "empty" epics, i.e. all epics that don't have children in the current result set. That's again a one-click operation.

The remaining list of epics should be what you're looking for. (See below for a similar use case.) unresolved-epics-with-all-issues-done.gif

If needed, you could now "mark" these epics e.g. using a label (in JXL, you can bulk-edit issues very conveniently using copy/paste), or export your list to CSV or Excel.

- H

Like Lorenzo likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
karel_mellen June 10, 2022
0 votes
Lorenzo June 14, 2022

Thank you all! I solved it with a structure, but your advice was helpful in any case.

Suggest an answer