How can I pull history from all issues in Jira

Thomas Cucolo August 28, 2018

I have a project that has been running for 8 months in JIRA. I want to build charts that will show the historical data to determine Cycle Time in every status that is on the board. For resolved and unresolved issues. The company has not installed the plugin that will allow this to be completed. 

My goal is to pull all historical data and create a pivot table to determine team progress, constraints and the value that the team has delivered.  How do I extract the data from JIRA? 

3 answers

1 vote
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2019

Hi @Thomas Cucolo 

Based on what you want to achieve, the add-on Time in Status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet maybe an on-point solution for you. With this tool you can easily track the number of times an issue has been in every status. Also, you can get the information about the time in status for each stage in a workflow and the number of times a task has gone from status to status.

Moreover, you can export all necessary data as a report in XLS or CVS file and set up a teamwork schedule to exclude non-working hours or days. Based on this extracted custom report you can proceed with your analysis by building charts etc.

If you want to have a detailed view of how your issues are following the workflow, you can try Issue History. This add-on will display you the history of all changes that had been made by your team in selected issues.

0 votes
Piotr Bojko
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2018

You can try SmartQL - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218767/smart-ql-sql-jql-easy-reporting?hosting=server&tab=overview

With SmartQL you can use SQL, SQL and XPATH to extract data from views exposed by the addon. Then you can export data by csv. You can even connect external tools to the addon/JIRA with jdbc (feature of SmartQL).

0 votes
Gary Pasquale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2018

Hi @Thomas Cucolo,

There's no simple answer. The option's I know of require additional apps or a bit of technical know-how.

Apps you could request include Time in Status and eazyBI. Both will give you what you need in different ways.

It 's possible to get historical data from issues via the REST API. But that is limited and will require some technical know-how.

Another option would be to query your DB directly. But that would require access to your database.

Hope that helps,

Gary.

Thomas Cucolo July 1, 2019

Yeah I requested a list of all project issues from the DB team. Still waiting. I was going to import into Excel and get the information

Like Amol Guttal likes this

Suggest an answer