How can I prevent the creation of certain issue types by certain users?

Markus Oberndörfer January 7, 2022

I am working as a Jira administrator for a development chapter, that is associated to a specific business unit. Currently we have the problem, that employees are creating not only bug tickets (this is highly recommended) but also tasks and story type issues, when they want to apply new product requirements. As a result our backlog is flooded with lots of old tickets that represent requirements that are more than one year old. Our backlog has become a repository of ideas for new features that should not be forgotten. As a result we are working now with different product requirement pages in confluence and we generate new Jira tickets by marking the headlines of potential userstories in the confluence pages. I would like to have an opportunity to allow the users of the development chapter to create stories and bug tickets and to permit the members of the business unit only to create bug tickets. AFAIK this is not possible by setting up the permission schemes in Jira. Are there other ideas?  

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

@Markus Oberndörfer 

This may be possible if you use a plugin like Jira Misc Workflow Extensions.

You would need to go into your workflow and the 'create' transition, click on 'Validator' and configure with the JMWE app these issue creations validations.

Natively I don't know if it's possible to perform all this specific configuration.

Markus Oberndörfer January 7, 2022

Thank you for your quick response, dear @Fernando Eugênio da Silva !

The JMWE seems to be an interesting add-on for Jira, but I would have to discuss it whether it makes sense for us. Just for one single feature that we need currently it would be far too expensive. I have to check if there are benefits for us on other fields for this extension.

Best regards

Markus

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

If you can't get the plugin @Fernando Eugênio da Silva suggested the quickest way is to use a separate project for just bugs and only give them created permission in it. I have used this solution many times.

If you want to create a requirement or other type of issue use a different project and link the bug to if it is relevant. Jira doesn't have issue type level permission. It presumes anyone working in the project should be able to create and work on any issue type in the project.  

0 votes
Daniel Lowe May 18, 2023

@Markus Oberndörfer it's a bit of a hack but if you have a separate workflow for the bug issue type vs the others, you can apply a permission validator onto the create transition for the other ticket types and assign it as a permission that isn't otherwise used on your project (i.e. manage sprint if you're not using sprints) then not give this permission to the business unit.
This would mean on the Bug workflow you only need create ticket permission to be able to raise a bug but the workflows for the other ticket types would also need manage sprint permission to create a ticket, which the business unit members wouldn't have.

Suggest an answer