How can I prevent an issue from being created if the same issue type exists?

Etai Dori January 16, 2018

Hello,

Am using automation to create an issue on transition.

Am looking for a way to prevent the issue from being created if an issue of the same type exists within the epic that is being transitioned.

For example, I have the following workflow: 

1. Open

2. Requirements

3. Development

Initially when I move from Open to Requirements, I want to automatically create a requirements issue type.

On the other hand if I move back from Development to Requirements, I want to open the existing requirements issue, instead of creating a new requirements issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Harwood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2018

Hi Etai,

You should be able to do this with entity properties, so when you transition the epic, you can mark with a property saying that the issue has been created, preceding that you check the non-existence of that property. Here is an example:

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.59.07 pm.png

Let me know if that will work for you.

Cheers,

Scott.

Etai Dori January 17, 2018

Thank you for your help.

I went about this in a different way as I got stuck if a user manually deleted the issue (and i did not want to add another automation to clear the hasissueCreated property.

My solution was to create two automations.

1. Create issue if the issue does not exist (using the related issue condition).

2. Reopen issue if the issue does exist (using the related issue condition).

image.pngimage.png

Suggest an answer